Saturday, October 16, 2010

Tuckered Out

My legs are SHOT! Not an injury issue at all (hoorah!), but just really tired. I ran 16.01 this morning and after the 50-mile ride yesterday, and a hard week on the bike, there isn't much left. But I am happy to be running long, that's for sure. So I am NOT complaining! This is me after finishing up the last .15 to get in 16.01 for the day. I couldn't, in good conscience, call it a 16-miler if if was only 15.86. : )


I'm not sure how many were at Panera this morning, but it was a nice turnout for OSS (Off-Season Striders). There were several groups out running ... Andy, Trevor and Dan don't show up in these pix but they ran with us at 7:30 as well. They blew in from their early start on the trails at the last minute. : )

Sonja, Shaun, Tom, Pete, Bri

Laura, Jim, Lana, Cathy

Bri, Roger, Dave, Jean

Pete, Bri

At Silver Lake during my 6:20 AM early miles, I saw a group of runners coming towards me and a couple of them had something on that I couldn't make out from a distance. As I got closer I saw that it was Brenda and Sherri and the Chatty Chicks. A couple of them were doing test runs for the Monster Dash in their pink tutus. I stopped and chatted with them and lamented the fact that of all times, this time I didn't have my camera!!

After our morning run, of course there was time for socializing.


Next week I believe OSS is meeting at Dunn Bros. on Elton Hills Dr NW. I will be on a road trip. I love road trips. Where?? Stay tuned to this little blog and you'll find out. Once I get there that is. : ) Next weekend is also the inaugural Mankato Marathon. Several people have been asking me lately if I'm running it (I was planning on it earlier in the year). But the way life has played out the last couple of months, it wouldn't be a good idea. So no, I'm not running anything at Mankato. (But OBX is still definitely a go on November 14.) BTW: Both the full and half marathons at Mankato closed this week. Good luck to those running next weekend. I'm anxious to hear about it.

Speaking of marathons ... another little road trip is shaping up for November 7... Rails to Trails. Marni is running it and we talked about the race for a while last night at the Night Lights run. And Ann Moyer is contemplating the half. I talked with Trevor and Andy this morning about pacing Dan Strain to a 3:20 BQ and they had had the same idea that I did!! Great minds think alike. So ... I think I will go down to Norwalk.

Outer Banks: Here is a link to the properties where we are staying (almost 50 of us from the St. Cloud River Runners are going on a MASSIVE road trip.) Our properties are numbers 156 (The Magnolia) and 157 (The Gardenia). They look really, really nice. I can't wait for this trip. I've been to NC, but not the Outer Banks. And I'm encouraged by how my running is progressing so I think I will be able to earn a finisher's medal for my 50th bday, which was my goal.

Boston Marathon: registration opens Monday. Last year it filled in two months and they expect it to fill quickly this year (the BAA sent out an email earlier this week, and I'm sure there are lots of people who didn't get registered in time last year that are determined to get registered this year).

Ultramarathon this 'n that: Trevor and Andy were talking about their preview run of Smurf the Murf early this morning before we got going. They said it's really hilly, so they're planning to walk the uphills (typical from what I understand from the ultrarunners I know). I offered to try to hook them up with Jim Benike, ultrarunner extraordinaire, for lunch or coffee sometime so that's in the works. Jim has an unbelievable number of ultras in the bag. He's such a nice, personable guy. Speaking of Trevor ... he lost 5 bikes in his garage fire, but not his really good bikes. So he might possibly be mountain bike shopping in the near future.

After running this morning, Tom O mentioned that Pete Gilman is running the Living History Farms 7-miler and is registered with Team R.E.D. and he wants to race it. Tom said that if we get a 4-person co-ed team (2 guys, 2 gals) we might have a chance of doing pretty well. He asked if I wanted to race (sure ... why not). So we still have 2 spots to fill on the "race team". I'm working on it. Paul Melby sent these pix this evening and he gave me permission to post them. The team is working on costume ideas and Melby is, as you can see, all over the superhero theme.




(I believe that's an iPod speaker system on his helmet. O'Leary will be wearing helmet-cam.) I suggested tutus. Maybe we'll even combine superheroes with tutus somehow. Brenda and Sherri said they're no-sew, so I could have a tutu making party, just like we did for Team R.E.D. mesh shirt night. What a hoot that was.


 We sure had fun making those shirts.

John Shonyo sent out an email about the Bear Creek 5 predict-your-time run on November 6. Anyone can win this one. You predict your time to run the 5 miles and the 10 who come closest without running faster are the winners. More info on the RTC website.

Enough for today. I will post about the WSU homecoming game today, tomorrow. Matt did a great job.

Workouts: I think I will bike tomorrow. I put out some feelers for bike-riding companions for tomorrow, but only got one nibble. So I guess I'll go out on my own, which is fine. I also have to make a dessert, a salad and prepare pizza toppings for tomorrow evening's pizza fest at Jay and Joan's. Guess I better make it a long ride if I'm going to be sampling pizza all evening. : )

Sweet slumber. Good night.

1 comment:

Cherie Jensen said...

Hi Renee,
It was good to see you Saturday am. The Chatty Chicks had a great 13 mile run in our Tutus-lots of smiles, thumbs up and a lot more double takes! It was tons of fun, may have to do it again just because! Brenda went back on the web and found the pattern for the tutus, they really are fast and easy. Check it out http://www.flickr.com/photos/ambrosialove/522118984/
BTW a Tutu party is a great idea, we Chicks turned ours into an evening of snacks, tutus and wine :)