Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween

It's a beautiful night for trick-or-treating, so I imagine we'll get quite a few. I finally took the screen out of the front door and put the glass in so I can leave the front door open tonight. Boy, I remember some pretty cold years taking the boys trick-or-treating. All bundled up, winter coats over their costumes, the ice storm of 1991, bitter wind chills. But there have been very nice Halloween evenings too. I've got to share these photos from a St. Cloud friend from Facebook (Jodi Nelson-Ryan). I am SO impressed!




I opted out of the karaoke Halloween party last night. Just didn't feel like it. And didn't feel like consuming enough alcohol to sing karaoke. :-) Too many calories, and I was tired. Again this year I opted to buy candy that doesn't tempt me: Kit Kats, Almond Joy, Hershey Bars, Whoppers, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

This morning's first workout: 7.20 mile loop-around-the-hill. It said 28 degrees on the thermometer at the dry cleaners on Salem Road, but with no wind, it was very pleasant. I wore my brand new 2150s. Sweet. The only thing better than new running shoes is new running shoes AND new socks.


Then I ate my bowl of oatmeal and then pedaled over to the RAC to meet Bri for a bike ride for my second workout of the day. Lindsey sold her bike last year and couldn't find one to borrow for today :-( We decided to head west from the RAC and then south on 104 to Salem Road and then south on county 15


until it ended at highway 30.



With my 4 miles to the RAC and 4 miles back home again, it was 34.84 miles. Very nice ride and I was happy to ride with Bri. :-)

Immediately after finishing the bike ride I dashed in the house and changed to go out to Oxbow for the 1:00 hike. I wore my pink gaiters.



What a beautiful day for a hike.


In attendance: Jean Murray, Adam Walters, Shelly Melby, Tom O'Leary, Wendy O'Leary, Ann Nepstad, Aaron Nepstad, Meg Bellrichard, Tod Bellrichard.




We walked a hilly 50-minute loop from the 3rd bridge parking area.







Then it was off to Margarito's for Margaritas. Or margaritas and beer, as the case may be. :-)

Meg's frozen strawberry margarita




I guess I'll opt out of doing time on the Stairmaster this evening. I've been doing 1-2 hours every night, but I guess I worked out enough for today. I have to say hills are my friend these days, whether on foot or the bike, so that's a good thing. On the downside, I feel like I've got tree trunks for thighs, and that's not a good thing.

I just finished making chocolate-dipped peanut butter cookies for the Cookie of the Month Club.



They will get delivered to the Y at noon tomorrow.

Jim Mason has more photos and info on the Gamehaven True Cross Country Run to be held November 13. I sure wish I was going to be in town for this one. Sounds like there is a lot of interest (I've heard a lot of chatter) and they have made some nice additions to the perks: hot soup and hot chocolate in a heated pavilion after the race, awards for the most spirited team (free caps and a free entry to Chester Woods Trail Run 2011), cannon start, handmade awards. Entry info on the RTC website.

If I'm feeling a little more motivated, tomorrow, I'll post the recipes for my veggie egg bake and crock pot steel cut oats that I brought up to St. Cloud yesterday. And maybe some more kid pix.

Quote for the day: "The best things in life are free ... a warm hug, a kind word, a smile". Enjoy the sunshine.

Good night.

No comments: