Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Very Full Day

I guess for this post, I'll recap the day's activities first and see how much time I have for administrivia when I'm done.

I didn't have to work today, so I slept in. Until 7:00!! Highly unusual for me, but it's actually become a little more commonplace than it had been in the past. But it's nice not to feel like I'm dragging during the day.

Sometime after 8:00 I went out for a run. Another 10-miler. : )


It took 6 minutes less than it did on Tuesday so I was happy about that. It really felt like fall this morning! Long sleeves were a definite must. My comfortable pace, at least in the early miles, varied between 7:49 and 8:06 every time I looked at my watch so I was happy about that too. Steps ... baby steps ... but steps nevertheless. I'm also hoping that the increase in running miles will reshape my body a bit. I'm putting in a lot of HARD miles on the bike and lots of time in the pool and I'm feeling REALLY bulky, especially my legs and shoulders. I prefer the long lean lines of a distance runner's body. But I think I'm in the best biking shape of my life so I guess I have to be happy about that. I just feel fat ... Afternoon workout: 1 1/2 hours on the Stairmaster ... it's about the calorie burn ...


For the dinner hour, I went to a Community Food Response volunteer appreciation dinner. I've helped out with this organization for several years and decided that this year I'd go to the dinner as I'd never gone before. THANK YOU to Canadian Honker for donating the food for more than 200 of us.

I've always thought that the Honker has done a really nice job catering, and Joe Powers and the Honker are very community-minded and are generous in their support of many organizations in town. THANK YOU!! There was a pumpkin as a centerpiece on the middle of each table and one of the programs at each table had a white sticker on it and the person who had it got the pumpkin. I WON!! I NEVER WIN!! They're even pie punkins so I can even cook it up and make a pie, or bread, or bars, or pancakes, or ... out of it.


After the dinner, I went out to Byron to Team R.E.D. (nice turnout, and 3 new members!) ...


as I had a little presentation for Melby (as in Paul).


He'd done really well at some 5Ks this year and had no medals, no nuthin, to show for it. I didn't think that was right! So ... I did something about it. I got him some medals. (I think there are still issues with my flash on my camera ... sorry. It's set to AUTO ... it should have flashed but didn't.)


I should have taken a pic of the wording on the back, but I didn't think of it. I had only 13 characters/spaces for each one so they're each a little different, but that's what I had to work with.


Paul's a good guy. And fun. : ) And it was fun to do this for him.


So what's the deal-e-o?? 1) He won the Resolution Run on 1/1/2010, but it's a non-timed event hence no medals or awards. 2) He won the Oklee 5K in his hometown in July, and even beat the "Norwegian Woo" and the local cross country kids. No medal. 3) He came in second in the Harvest Classic 5K but there was only a medal for the first place finisher. And he even ran a PR in that race ... 18:07 which is EXCELLENT. So there you go ... he's now got something to show for his outstanding 5K season this year. : ) Way to run, Paul.

We've got another couple of BQs in the area ... I sat with Steve and Cathy Strange at the CFR dinner and Steve's excellent Whistlestop marathon qualifed him for Boston in 2012 and he's going to run it. Congrats Steve! I knew his time was excellent but wasn't sure about the BQ. Also, Katie Morgan, a bleader from Zumbrota, got a PR and BQ at Whistlestop and contacted me as she is interested in where we're staying. (Ramada on Morrissey Blvd.) Boston is going to be a BLAST. : )

Just a couple other things before I retreat upstairs ... The first annual Night Lights 5K is being held tomorrow evening at Soldier's Field, utilizing the track. I don't think I'll run, but will go take pix. O'Leary and Shelley Melby are running I know. I'll see if Kevin needs some help, too.

OSS is meeting on Saturday at 7:30 am at Panera south. Everyone is welcome to run, walk whatever distance you like and then gather inside afterwards for food and fellowship.

My youngest son Matt is singing the national anthem at the WSU homecoming game on Saturday along with 4 others from his acapella group. He'll be the one with the bass II (really low) singing voice. He also plays trumpet in the pep band so he'll be busy Saturday afternoon.

I'll save the rest for tomorrow. I'm ready to close 'er down for the night. Sweet dreams, bleaders.

1 comment:

Sonja said...

"Fat is not a feeling"!