Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Change

Things have definitely changed for me this week. No running miles. Lots of swim miles. (Swam another hour this morning.) Lots of bike miles. It's what I need to do. I rode a very pleasant 50+!! (yesterday's goal, remember? Longest ride of the year so far.) miles this afternoon on the bike. Salem Corners to Byron toward Mantorville back to Pine Island to Douglas to Roch. It was a breezy NW wind hence I chose the course that I did. I finally turned away from the wind after 32 miles. What a relief. Spotted Jim Hebl on the way to Salem Corners. Forgot to mention that I rode a few miles with Jerry Wille on Sunday afternoon. He's able to do a little more running and hopes to be back at it next season.

Another change ... the weather. It's wonderful to have the windows open and fresh air blowing through the house. I much prefer outside air to air conditioning. It sounds like tonight is going to be downright chilly, covers required. :-) Love it.

Yet another change ... my new banner photo. It's Gooseberry Falls on the north shore. Truly a beautiful spot in God's creation.

And finally a positive change in the condition of my toe (I hope). After hearing nothing from OMC and being frustrated about that, I called Foot & Ankle Clinic and got an appointment there for this afternoon. Hip, hip, hooray. Finally some progress. The doctor agreed that the little hole in the nail on Sunday wasn't going to provide drainage. Lots of $ down the drain on that Sunday visit. Argh. So today Dr. Panetta did just what I hoped he'd do and what I've had done before ... shot novocaine into 3 spots in my big toe (ouch, ouch, ouch ... that is definitely the most painful part. When he hits the nerve ...) cut a slit in the end and squeezed out all that nasty fluid. Sorry. It is what it is. He said there was a "good amount" of fluid in there under and beneath the nail. It's good to have the pressure relieved.

No swimming for 2 days :-( but I can continue to bike. No problem. I enjoy it. I think I'm going to explore some more of Dodge County tomorrow.

And yet another change ... my choice in music on my iPod. One song in particular. Love the Way You Lie by Eminem and Rianna. It's compelling. I guess that's why it's been #1 for so many weeks. Eminem isn't something I'd normally have on my playlists.

A change in my schedule now allows me to run the City of Lakes 25K on September 12 with my race team. But I'm going to wait a few more days to sign up to see how my running is faring. So far Rick, Val, Wanda have registered.

Just a reminder ... the RTC Annual Picnic is on Thursday at 6 pm at Slatterly Park. Bring a dish to pass. The RTC will provide table service and beverages. Another Thursday option is Team R.E.D. this week to be hosted by Adam and Jill Walters. And there's always T.N.T. (Thursday Night Triathlon) at Foster Arends Park. And Thursdays on First ... There's no excuse to be bored on Thursday.

This is from Jim Benike, who just ran the Leadville Trail 100 (miles). He finished in 29 hours 20 minutes. There were 280 DNFs and 150 DNSs. Here's Jim's email:


This is not a cigarette sticking out of my elbow. It is a drain. I fell at 53 miles on the gravel road starting back up Hope pass. Two cars were coming toward me and I looked up and down I went. Both palms, my knee, but I had a skin flap on my elbow. I went a block down the road and people had first aid kits. It took about 15 minutes trying to get the tape to stick. They didn't want to use my duct tape. :-)

I started back up the mountain and when my pulse would rise I would start leaking. I certainly had a manly look with blood running down my arm dripping off my fingers. It was a long 40 miles after Twin lakes. Rain (his wife Lorraine) started pacing me at FH with 24 miles to go. Except for easy downhills it was a walk-in with poles. We did pass quite a few people as we walked, even passed some people who thought they were running.

The Finish line med tent sent me to St Vincents and their 5 beds. Very friendly people. If you have something big you step outside for a heli ride to Denver. I have 3 stitches and a drain which is wrapped in about 1 1/2 inches of cotton and a soft cast. I'm practicing being right handed for a while. Can't wear a LS shirt. They put me on antibiotics and oxycodine. I really didn't want it but 4 hrs later I was glad I had it. Rain gets to drive.

My goal was always to finish the LV 100 at 60 but it was a lot more fun running sub 25s at 50. I did see Barefoot Ted going up Hope pass. I could see that when he stubbed his toe he could see the blood right away. Saw two other guys with homemade sandals and at least two with Vibram 5 toes. Ouch and pain!!!!!! But apparrently at least some of them finished. They weren't in the walking pilgrimage that we were in.

Happy Trails,
--------------------------
James W. Benike (on the left in the photo below, without an elbow drain)
 
 
Some things never change. Here was my supper:
 
 
BTW: We still need course marshals for the half marathon on Saturday. What does that entail? Standing on a corner/intersection making sure the runners go in the right direction and proceed safely. Not rocket science but very necessary for a safe race. If you can help out (please!) email me or Jean.
 
I picked up the cots and blankets for the medical tent at the Red Cross today. Really appreciate their willingness to help. KC says he's setting up the tents at 5 AM as he and Kevin are also setting up the finish line then. So you know where I'll be at 5 bells ... behind the Civic Center setting up in the dark. :-) Thank you to everyone who's volunteered to help or registered to run. We need runners too of course. Weather sounds favorable for the whole week.
 
Paul Melby ran the Ragnar Relay last weekend. And I made his skirt (for "manskirt" night at Team R.E.D. several months ago) and whipped up three skirts last Thursday for some of the Divas (and a Dude I guess!). Here are some pix I stole from Facebook:
 


I'm glad they made good use out of them. :-) They were fun to make. I'm not quite sure how to work "change" into this subject matter, so I'll just leave it alone.
 
Time to change into my jammies. Good night.

No comments: