Sunday, May 23, 2010

Wiped Out

Today I am really dragging, in a sleepy-tired kind of way. I don't know if it's the sudden heat and humidity sapping everything out of me or what, but I feel like I just can't stay awake. And the forecast for tomorrow is for more of the same, only warmer. And windier. Just returned from Winona and a hilly roughly 18 mile ride in the WI side of the river with Matt. Very pretty route, and like I said ... hilly! ... All good except the section on gravel. Going downhill on a gravel on a road bike does not equal fun for this blogger. :-) But I survived. We came upon some riders on WI highway 35. I went by them saying "on your left". I guess they later said they'd been on a casual ride until I went by them. :-) Then I shifted into the large chain ring and my chain came off. Again. Oh, well. Got it back on quickly and took off again.

This morning I ran for 6 miles. KC spotted me, and I saw Barb Hunt and her hubby out walking the dog. The run was just junk miles, which is what I was planning for. When I got over by TJMaxx Plaza, I saw some guys from Velo Rochester finishing up their ride. So I ran over to Dunn Bros. just to chat with them for a second. What pace do they ride on Sundays? 18 to 19 mph. (I could do that). How far? Today, 45 miles. Yesterday, 70 miles. (I could do 45 for sure). What time do they start? 8:00 am. But check the VeloRochester Google group. Can anyone ride with them? Yes, if you can keep up. (I think I could do that). So ... maybe I'll give it a try some time.

I've gotten everything planted that I'm going to plant this year. And compared to other years, it's not much. My hostas on the east side of the house are looking good. The leaves are HUGE.

I got the lawn mowed and edged the other day, lifted some pavers that had sunk quite a bit ...


did lots of weeding,


trimmed a bunch of dead branches out of one of the hydrangeas, clipped the hedge on the side of the garage, put diazanon on some ant hills on the front walk (and got rid of what was left ... their now-empty hills), lots of run-of-the-mill stuff that just needs doing. I planted a bunch of impatiens in front of the house. I'm dreading the day when the deer/rabbits munch them down to the ground.

Last Sunday I helped out the O'Leary family at the JDRF Roll & Stroll. It was a beautiful day and they had a great turnout and raised lots of money for an important cause. I was in charge of the Bozo Circus game, which involved tossing golf balls into buckets. I was at liberty to determine how many tickets to give away and Tom O' encouraged me to be generous. :-)

Andy and Erin Hemenway were there ...

Tom Woo, Heidi and Pete Martin ...

the Nepstad family...

and lots and lots of other people!


Congratulations O'Learys on a job very well done. :-)

Friday evening I helped out at the Stay Out of the Sun Run 10K water stop along with Cathy.


Here are the leaders coming by the water stop the second time (Patrick, Peter and Steve):

Peter won in a time of 37:44, with Patrick a close second at 37:48. Steve was third in 38:41. Cindy Blendermann was the first female with a time of 42:09.

I think I'm finally caught up on blogging. I think I'm going to disconnect from electronics for the evening and relax. Life is good. :-)

No comments: