Wednesday, May 19, 2010

First "Tri" of the Season

Today was a workout! Times three, though out of the typical triathlon order of swim/bike/run, mine being run/swim/.../bike. I started the gorgeous weather day with a run at 5:15 AM along with Lisa, Mark and Bruce. After several miles, we'd kind of separated and I decided I was feeling fairly good, so I'd run Bruce home. Which means a run up Heartbreak Hill'ish Viola Road. But that was fine. Hills make you stronger, right?? Then I meandered through Quarry Hill, down to Slatterly and eventually back to the Y. 13.01 miles. The morning was still plenty young, so I went for a half hour swim before stopping at Kwik Trip for bananas, milk and eggs. Then home to shower and eat oatmeal and then off to work by 9. Mid-afternoon I went for a really nice bike ride. The weather was soooooo nice. Kind of breezy from the SE, but all-in-all just a superb day. I rode through Salem Corners, Rock Dell, High Forest and in on County 8. 36.60 really enjoyable miles. One of my better rides for the year thus far. I have to work on kind of a master plan for workouts for the week. It's going to be hard (again) to get in all the running, swimming and biking that I'd like to do. After yesterday I found out that running 1/4 miles on Monday followed by hills on Tuesday is tough. But I haven't done any speedwork in months and would like to get back to it. Maybe I should alternate hills and speedwork on Tuesdays...hmmm. I'll consider it. Also, I think there are some of us interested in doing long'ish bike rides on Sundays after marathon season. Stay tuned for more info on that. This morning, Bruce mentioned the Bicycle Sports rides on Monday (Bamber Valley school) and Wednesday (the store) evenings. He said they average 19-20 mph and on Monday went 45 miles. I think I could do that. It would be fun to try once again. In the 80's, I did that mutiple days/week. It was fun. But I did find that the cycling groups weren't nearly as social as runners are. :-) At least my running peeps!!

I have to say ... I just love this weather...shorts, cute little dresses, tank tops ... love it!!

At 5:30, Jean, me and Jen met at Panera for a Rochester Half Marathon planning meeting.

Pete Martin happened by so we chatte him up for a bit.


We will be looking for LOTS of volunteers again this year. Y'all will get a T-shirt for volunteering. Runners are going to get hats this year.

I have a few pix from last night's hill workout and stop at Brothers:

Roger snitching a cookie :-)

Noah, Dave and 3:31 BQ marathoner Jim enjoying food of some kind

Noah and Andy

Dave, me, Jim, Roger, Noah

Noah and Andy were pretty happy to have scored indivual loaves of choc. chip walnut banana bread!


And here's blueberry pie #3.

Thursday, Byron Team R.E.D. is meeting at 6 PM at the Bear's Den (notice the earlier start time than previous weeks). I will be there. Hope some of you will be as well!! 2, 4 or 6 mile routes for running and/or walking. Supposed to be another beautiful day.

There's a sidewalk sale going on at Running Room. Lots of clothes and shoes on sale. Check it out.

Med-City news and notes: 1) They still need lots of volunteers! Email robinc@rochfamy.org if you can help at an intersection out on the course. 2) Robin @ the Y asked me to pass along this info ... ActivePT and Sports Therapy is offering pre-race sports injury assessments to the first 30 callers. "Call today to schedule your free pain or injury screening. Have your problem checked by a licensed physical therapist and receive one free laser treatment to accelerate healing and get you back on your feet for the race." 3) The RTC is sponsoring a water stop out in Byron. I think Amy if you'd like to volunteer. 4) My current Med-City weekend party count = 3. One Saturday, two Sunday. :-)

Jean, Laura and I got tickets for WICKED (finally!) for the August 14 afternoon performance. I can't wait. I've heard such good things about it.

I got an Athlinks link emailed to me after the TC 1 Mile. If you haven't checked out that site yet, it's kinda neat. It's almost a one-stop shop for race results. I'm not sure where they gather the data from, but mine includes data all the way back to the Fetzer 20K in 2000. You just go to the site and enter a name. Easy as pie!

Julie has LOTS of St. Cloud River Runner pix on her blog from the TC 1 Mile. Good job on your race, Julie and it's fun to see all her photos of my buds.

Think I will wrap this one up. I still need to post about my foodie jaunt to the cities on Monday, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Until then ... good night!

No comments: