Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Regular Stuff

There's still some run-of-the-mill, regular stuff to be shared with my "bleaders" (I'm guessing it's "bl(og) (r)eaders" a new term I picked up in Julie & Julia, which I started reading on the NY trip). The author, Julie Powell, is a hoot. (But I will caution that she has a potty-mouth.)

I had lunch with my friend Kim today. We were to meet at 300 First, but guess what? They're no longer open for lunch. Major bummer! So we went to Chester's instead. We both had the Spinach Chicken salad which was very, very good.


It had chicken in one corner, mandarin oranges, bacon and Craisins in the others and almonds on top. And a very tasty maple vinaigrette. Wish I could figure out the recipe! Really a delicious salad which we both thoroughly enjoyed. We talked mostly kids (she has 4, I have 2) and some about running, triathlons and quilting. We had a very nice time together. She is a very talented quilter as is evidenced by her website Her quilts are very colorful and whimsical. She had a cute little cupcake quilt wallhanging for me for my birthday.


It's even got some beads on the frosting. :-) Very fun little quilt. Her own design, of course.

Totally useless info: there's an 8-point buck living in the woods somewhere in my neighborhood. I saw it yesterday morning and Monday afternoon wandering through the back yard.

Here's a link from Lisa P. about mega marathoners. Some people need to get a life! I'd heard a clip about this on the radio this morning too, actually.

In the last week, another friend has been diagnosed with breast cancer and she's already had her surgery. I was devastated to hear the news. Just another reason that we need to lend support to Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer (February 14) be it as a runner (5K run/walk or half marathon), volunteer, silent auction donations (THANK YOU to those who have contributed--I'll be doing a cookie basket and a bread and jam basket), or your financial support. It's all needed and very much appreciated.

It looks like there's a new race on the RTC website: the Booker Mini 5K on Friday 11/27 at noon at the International Event Center. Wally Arnold is the race director.

I'll bring this post to a close and work on the December issue of RTC News before retiring and reading a few pages of J & J (I don't get very far before I start dropping the book on the floor ... at which time I need to give in and just turn off the light.)

Another quote about friends: "Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down." -- Oprah Winfrey

Toodles.

No comments: