Friday, November 20, 2009

Friday

Just a quick post for today. It's been a quiet, but beautiful day. I'll take this weather for mid-November, any day. Gotta love it. This morning I ran down to the Y, lifted (it'd been 10 days) and swam for an hour and then ran home. My legs were tired after 16 miles yesterday. I'm not sure what my legs have in them for tomorrow. We'll see. It's only 7 weeks until my next marathon --- Zoom!Yah!Yah! and I'll need to get in a couple of 20-milers between now and then.

I, and the River Runners, got a mention by Tom O'Leary in the Byron Team R.E.D. blog!! Whoo hoo! They're a fun group.
I had lunch with Mike Schmitt today at Pi Pizza, up near the north Target. Mike wanted to see ALL my pictures from NY. I couldn't possibly post them all. :-)




Even though it's a pizza place, we both had the Pi salad. I had chicken with mine. It was very good.



I made cookies for tomorrow morning's run. I used the dutch-processed cocoa I got at Penzey's. It's REALLY nice cocoa. You might think 'cocoa is cocoa', but this is silky smooth, no lumps. I guess you get what you pay for.


They're those really chocoaltely ones.



I also made Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies, which is a new recipe for me. They turned out good. I hope. :-) It's a soft pumpkin cookie ...


with a cinnamon-flavored filling.






For dinner, I had a salad (no surprise there) with pomegranate seeds and blackberries (99 cents at Target) on it.


And I was inspired to make something with Sweet Potatoes. It's my own adaptation of another recipe (which uses winter squash and a lot more butter and sugar, no cinnamon, and Corn Flakes). Saute some apple slices in a covered skillet and put them on the bottom of a casserole dish.


Bake (or nuke) a couple of sweet potatoes. Peel and mash.


Season with salt and pepper and cinnamon (and a little butter and brown sugar if you wish--but not really necessary. If you make this with winter squash, a little brown sugar is nice). Layer on top of the apples.


For the topping, I used 1 Tbsp. melted butter, 1/4 c. brown sugar, 3/4 c. Honey Bunches of Oats (crushed) and 1/4 c. pecans, chopped. (This was enough for a 7 x 11 dish. Double for a 9 x 13).


Bake for about 15 minutes at 350, until topping is crunch and it's heated through.



Hope to see lots of you at Panera South tomorrow morning!
Quote for the day: "Integrity is not a 90 percent thing, not a 95 percent thing; either you have it or you don’t.” -- Peter Scotese

Good night.

No comments: