Saturday, November 21, 2009

In Training

The sun wasn't even up when I set out on the run this morning at 6:10.


I wanted to get in a long one in preparation for Zoom!Yah!Yah! on January 10, but not knowing the suggested route/mileage for the Off-Season Striders, and not knowing how many I could get in by 7:25, I just started out and let the rest play out. I ran up around Silver Lake and back to Panera where I met up with Tom Woo for the final 1.8 miles. 9.00 miles by 7:25. A good start.

John arrived with maps and directions (and he'd chalked the turns for us--thank you!) and went over the 10 mile course.



Yikes! A bit more than I bargained for ... but there were ways to shorten it up. There were 20 of us (not all pictured below).



Basically it was south to 16th St SW, north to 6th St SW (a blessing in disguise for me ... .6 mile from my house), out to Salem Road to Mayowood Road and back on the bike path. The thought of 19 miles with no calories wasn't sounding too great (my bad) so I decided to go past the house when I got to 6th St and rejoin the group somewhere out on Salem Road. I didn't rejoin Dan/Trevor/Andy/Randy/Jen as I guess Andy was on fire and was setting a blistering pace! So I ended up running in mostly by myself. I needed .9 more miles to get in a 20, so guess what I did? Yup, made it to 20. It was a nice morning, my legs felt OK, so why not get one out of the way?? Glad I did it. 2:50:30 for time. Not terrible, not incredible either. But good enough.

Then it was back to Panera for the "food and fun".








The pumpkin sandwich cookies (new recipe) from yesterday's post were VERY well received. Guess that recipe goes in the "keeper" file! Jen Bradt said she came for the cookies. "Save me one of those pumpkin ones!", she'd said. :-) All but 2 cookies (one of each kind) were consumed. I didn't have any until I got home. I was trying so hard to have will power. I kept breaking off little pieces of the chocolate one (the other went in the freezer) until this evening ... when I'd eaten the whole thing.

When I went around Soldier's Field golf course I noticed that a lot of garbage had blown against the fence and it looked pretty "trashy".


So mid-afternoon I went out there and picked it up. It took an hour to get from Snappy Stop to Hy-Vee. The walk in one direction is about .85 miles. I'm giving myself credit for 2 miles with all the weaving around, hauling bags around, and, especially, all the bending down. So that gives me 22 miles for today. :-)

Most prolific piece of trash: DirectTV flyers (must have been 50 of them) ...


followed by HyVee sales circulars. Most interesting piece of trash: a necktie, which was still tied.



Most common cash register receipt: The Dollar Store (which is directly south of the fence!)

Three people thanked me for being out there: 1) The first lady came by on her bike and stopped and said, "There must be a special place in heaven for you." She made my day. 2) A male runner (vaguely familiar guy) said "thank you!" 3) A lady walking said "Thank you. That's so nice of you." I don't do it for the thanks, but it was nice to hear.

Supper was corn chowder and leftover sweet potato "stuff". Got the refrigerator coils vacuumed this evening (yes, I live a very exciting life) and am getting ready to wrap up the December issue of RTC News. I'm at 32 pages now and will get a story or two tomorrow. Thank you to everyone who contributed, and many of you contribute on a regular basis. Couldn't do it without you.

The Polar Bear Fun Run and Lunch on Saturday, January 2 will be at my house this year instead of the Rochester Family Y due to scheduling conflicts at the Y. Stay tuned for more info.

Word on the street: Bill Nevala is competing in Ironman Arizona this weekend. Exciting! Can't wait to hear about it. Hope he's having a good day...

Here's a link from Mike Schmitt: I'm hooked by Natalie Morales from the TODAY show. She's hooked on triathlon and she's a marathoner as well.

Time for bed. Relatively early this evening, but I need it. Tomorrow I'll hit the pool.

My wish for you:
May your blessings be as many as the autumn leaves that fall.
May the memories that light your days be fond ones to recall.
May family, health and good friends bring abundant joy to living.
And may you find that each day holds new reasons for Thanksgiving.
Good night. ;-)

No comments: