Monday, November 2, 2009

Recovery

It's a recovery week for me as well as anyone who ran a marathon yesterday, I'd guess. Or I'd hope, anyway. Time to lay low and let the body recover. Wednesday I'm getting a massage from Deb Canon at the Y. I've got a couple of massage gift certificates and this seems a good time to cash one of them in. The other is for Healing Touch.

I got this email from a race director: "I'm hoping that you would be able to let your club members know about the third annual Rotary Lights Run/Walk 5K to be held in La Crosse on December 13. The race starts and finishes in Riverside Park, home to almost 3 million lights that celebrate the holiday season with the rest of the course run on torch lit La Crosse River trail. More information is available at Rotary Lights Run and I would be happy to answer any questions. Thanks and hope to see you in December."

My friend Kelly, whom I will be visiting in NY soon, emailed me about a 5K at Yankee Stadium while I'm there. Would be really fun. I'll see how my calf is feeling next weekend and make a decision. Don't want to re-injure it again.

For River Runner readers: Still getting more donations of freebies for the banquet in January! A couple more race entries and some memberships @ Gold's Gym.

Available every day in November at Great Harvest Bread: Pumpkin Yumpkin Bread--Moist pumpkin spiced cake swirled together with irresistibly sweet cream cheese. Looks and sounds wonderful.



Now that I'm on the topic of food, some friends and I (Margo, Barb, Pam, Paula) are going up to the cities tomorrow on a foodie road trip. We're picking up Paula in AppleValley and going to lunch somewhere near her house, then on up to St. Paul to hit Trader Joe's , Penzeys and I don't know what all else, and on the way home, Ferndale market in Cannon Falls. Should be a fun day.

And while I'm on the subject of Margo, I think some beets from my garden are pictured in this month's Rochester Women magazine. :-) She went to my garden and dug some many weeks ago because she needed them for something-or-other, and I can't remember what it was for sure.

Collecting their pumpkin cookies this noon ...


K.C., Don, Jason, Dan, Jim. I had half a can of pumpkin left over and didn't want to throw it away. I needed to make a cake for a lunch at church tomorrow, so I made a Pumpkin Cranberry Cake with a recipe from the Cake Mix Doctor Returns! cookbook. The streusel didn't work at all (1/2 c. brown sugar, 5 Tbsp. melted butter and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon). It was the consistency of a thin syrup, not streusel. I added 1/2 c. flour and some oatmeal to make it come together. Looks good. Smells good. But I might not get to taste test this one.



This afternoon it was nice and (relatively) warm so I did some window and screen washing. They're double hung and tilt inside so it's not that bad of a project. And clean windows are wonderful. :-) I'm on a mission to get this house in tip-top shape.

I could still use some articles for the December issue of RTC News. If you have something to contribute, please email me. Thank you!

OK. Three more random questions from Amber's blog, with my answers:
We’re going to the zoo. But, it looks like it could start storming, so it’ll have to be a quick visit. What 3 exhibits do we have to get to?
1) Monkeys (they're so much fun to watch)
2) Otters (they're so playful)
3) Pandas (if it's the San Diego zoo; otherwise giraffes)

You’re driving down the road, and suddenly you’re hit with this sense of road rage. What 3 factors probably contributed to it?
1) Someone in the left lane not going even close to the speed limit (when there's also someone in the right lane). One of my pet peeves.
2) Someone tailgating me.
3) Someone weaving in and out of traffic wrecklessly. I've been known to say, "Idiot."

Sweet, you just scored a whole afternoon to yourself. We’re talking a 3 hour block with nobody around. What 5 activities might we find you doing?
1) Talking on the phone
2) Baking cookies
3) Sewing
4) Running
5) Reading

Yeah, I have to admit it. I'm boring.

Quote for the day: “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” -- Sir Winston Churchill

Toodles.

1 comment:

Barb said...

it was a GREAT day today!
- your fellow roadie food trip friend, Barb :)