Sunday, October 25, 2009

Recap

Thought I'd do a little follow-up on the race (North Face Endurance Challenge) yesterday. First off, here's the elevation chart for my half marathon (you can click on it for a better look):

As you can see, we spent precious little time running on flat ground. I have to say, the hills at miles 1 and 11 were killers. My calf was really hurting at 11 and the extra strain caused by such a sharp uphill resulted in me having to walk that hill. And the downhills weren't really that much easier. You couldn't fly down them. With wet leaves covering all those stones, you had to be very cautious. At least I did. I am not a trail running veteran and I'm a bit skittish.

Some comments on the event: 1) No fluids on the course until 6.6 miles. I could have used something before that. Then another stop at 11.1 miles. That was it. Guess I should have carried my own bottle. Lesson learned. 2) One award in 10-year age groups. This was a 600-person event. I think they should have been more generous. (I was fourth in my age group and am not looking for one. But I think 3-deep was warranted, especially with a $65 entry fee.) 3) There was only ONE trash can in the finish line area. And it was on the opposite side from all the food. 4) Most of the food was gone by the time the 50Kers were finishing. Just some stale 1/4 bagels and peanut butter/jelly. OK, now the good. 1) The course is absolutely beautiful. The scenery rivals the best I've ever seen on a trail. Absolutely spectacular. 2) Nice technical shirts and socks. 3) Friendly volunteers out on the course, putting in a very long day in cold weather. 4) The course conditions were not as bad as I'd feared with all the rain and snow on Friday. I'd really been worried about slippery trails, rocks and roots being a huge hazard. But it wasn't too bad. Mostly just the hills. Some stretches of very slippery mud, but I made it through (actually, around) all but one without incident.

I saw a number of people running in these yesterday:



Vibram Fivefingers I was shocked when this guy went by me at about 11 miles wearing them. I'd rolled my ankles twice on the course (with no apparent damage) and I had trail shoes on. I'm sure I would have gotten injured had I been wearing these things. But maybe not. Who knows. Maybe you can just grip all those rocks with your toes or something ...

Cindy also had a great tip for us gals. Carrying gel packs (Gu, etc) in your sports bra. I tucked one in yesterday and it worked great. She said she can carry up to three. She said to make sure you use lots of Body Glide, though. Great tip!!

Now for today: I was able to run 4 miles (down to the Y to lift and swim). The first 3 were fine, but the fourth mile made my calf hurt again, so I think I'll back w-a-a-a-a-y off in preparation for the Rails to Trails marathon next weekend. I think with a week's rest it will be just fine. I'll just do some swimming. Maybe take a bike ride if the weather cooperates for one day!!

Went to another concert in Winona today. Matt is a member of the Winona Symphony Orchestra (it's about half students, half community members/faculty). This was his first concert with that organization. It was VERY good. Really enjoyed it. Totally useless information: there were 7 cellists. Of the 7, 4 had red hair. :-) In the next few weeks he's also got the following concerts: choir, band, select band, chamber orchestra, Winona Oratorio, football games (pep band), and a Messiah Sing-In. He's very involved and busy! Gee ... I guess he comes by that trait honestly, anyway. He's also a member of a 9-person acapella group called Hear This!. They've got a beat-boxer (someone who does percussive sounds with their "vocal instrument" :-)  I really want to hear them sometime. Afterwards we went to Bub's for a sandwich. I had a teriyaki chicken sandwich. Nothing to write home about, but serviceable.

I stopped at Running Room today and got some compression socks. I'm willing to try (just about!) anything to alleviate leg cramps. I've tried all the supplements, electrolytes, hydration strageties, stretches, The Stick, that anyone has suggested to me. But hadn't tried compression socks. John Shonyo suggested it and I'm certainly willing to give them a try. Who knows? Maybe they'll make me as fast as Paula Radcliffe!! I saw Sonja Anderson Decker at the 50-miler yesterday and she wore them. Hers were white too but they didn't look muddy at all. I have no idea how she came out of those woods without being muddy. I sure didn't.

I saw the Running Room Resolution Run jacket while I was in there. It's very nice! It's not "windbreaker" type material this year. It's more of a heavier, thermal-type fabric. And it's got an extension on the sleeve with a thumb hole. And it'll be very visible against the snow. Really nice jacket. Also, there were lots and lots of new clothes in for the winter season. I need a new pair of tight tights (lyrca-type). The pair I have just won't stay up any more. I've replaced the elastic once, but it's shot again and I was constantly pulling them up at Whistlestop. But the ones I tried on were all too short. :-(

Our Vikings are no longer undefeated. I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later. There's always next week (I hope).

Well, time for bed. I've been sleepy today.

Quote for the day: "“Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there.” -- John Wooden

Take care.

No comments: