Thursday, October 29, 2009

Mudfest



This afternoon it was sections for cross country teams. For many years I've helped out with the 1A meet and that's where I was again today. And it was a total mudfest. (This is a fareway on a golf course. Before the meet started.)



It had rained all day and John told us to come dressed appropriately. So I wore my garden clogs ...


The rain had subsided a bit before the meet started, so I decided not to wear a rain poncho. But I did have my RTC jacket, my SCRR cap and a golf umbrella. Just in case. I checked in in the clubhouse to find out that I had my usual spot, tear tags at the finish line. High stress for about 3 minutes (about 16-19 minute finish times) but I haven't been fired yet. :-)

It wasn't long before about 150 guys were ready to make their muddy way around the golf course on their 5K course.




It wasn't too bad during the boys' race. But the course must have been a mess because the boys were covered from toes to shoulders in mud. I've never seen anything like it.



This was the first finisher in the boys race. After that I had to put my camera away as they come in pretty fast and I don't even have time to look up. But I did notice the mud. On the bibs/tear tags. On their clothes. On their skin. It was everywhere. By the time the girls ran, it was raining heavier again and the wind had picked up.




I'm sure everyone was glad when it was over. And I don't think I want to hear what the golf course groundskeeper thought about what it looked like when all was said and done. John Resman does such a good job of putting on the meet. Everything is supremely organized. Every year. Despite the weather. :-)



I hadn't planned on going home after the meet before going to Glynner's pub, but my jeans were a muddy mess so I had to. There were 9 of us there this evening.



It was a TriRochester get-together but being it's marathon season, talk centered mostly around that event. A good time, as always.

I made Cindy Lewandowski's Pumpkin Craisin cookies and brought them to both events today. They were unaninously well-liked. With good reason--they're delicious. And they're all gone. Just what I hoped would happen.



Here's the recipe:

Pumpkin Craisin Cookies

Mix together:
1 1/2 cups butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla

Alternate adding the remaining ingredients, mixing well after each addition:

4 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 cups pumpkin (one can)
1 cup Craisins
12 oz. white chips

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes

I finished making my gaiters today. I used some leftover fabric that I bought several years ago to make some (wild!) running tights.
 

Now I'm all set for a sandy, stony, leafy trail run. :-)

I made a couple of hooded towels today for my niece and nephew. All you need are a washcloth and towel. Easy peasy.




Knitting gone bad: A month or two ago, I knitted myself a couple of dishrags. I was so proud of them. Today I was running the garbage disposal and it didn't sound right. Well, I'm sure you can guess where this story is going.
 

Right in the trash can. :-(

I'm still furiously cleaning and  (mostly) decluttering the basement. I opened a couple boxes of clothes that the boys wore when they were little. Here's a pair of corduroys that I made, probably 23 years ago:


They grow up so fast ...
 
I decided to empty my box of old running shoes and take them to Running Room to be sent to Haiti where they will have a second life. (Just tie the laces together first.) Everything from 2080s to 2130s. Asics of course.
 

Well, that's probably way more detail than you wanted out of my day. More tomorrow. Let's hope the rain stops soon.
 
Good night.

No comments: