Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Couple of Firsts ... and A Second

(The shorts in this photo, which you can't see, are now my good luck shorts. :-)

The first first. Starting in the first corral for TC10. Loved it. Not crowded at all. I could practically reach out and touch the start banner. I was pretty much on pace with the surrounding runners from the get-go so didn't have to weave through the crowd. Great beginning for a great race.

The second first. I drank my first cup of coffee today. EVER. Yup, that's right. 48 years old, 100% Norwegian and I'd never drank a cup of coffee. The first sip was straight-up, black Caribou coffee. Too bitter. Didn't like it. But I was cold and I wanted something hot. So I put in one Land O'Lakes creamer thingy and a packet of Splenda and it was sooooo much better. I actually liked it!. Yup, that's right. That's all I need ... another vice. :-) Now I need to try those good-smelling flavored coffees.

The first second. 2nd in my age group today. It was quite a while after the fiinish until I knew it, but when I found out I was pretty much over the moon. Thrilled, actually.

My first goal today had been to run a P.R. (previous 10-mile PR being 1:12:54, 10/7/2001 at TC10). A perfectly wonderful day would have been 1:11:something (7:06 pace). A dream come true would be sub-7:00 pace (1:10). But I didn't know if I could hang on to that pace for 10 miles. It would be so weather dependent. Well, the weather was certainly 100% wonderful for distance running today. Cool (about 50 for the whole day). A slight breeze. Overcast. My first mile was 6:34. Yeow!! Downhill, but I knew I'd better throttle back even though I felt great. Second mile 6:41. A little more throttling back was in order! Mile 3 6:58. A little more reasonable for 10 miles. Still feeling good. The rest of my splits: 6:43 7:01 7:08 (hill) 7:07 (hill) 6:54 7:05 6:50. Ran within my capabilities; never felt out of control. Felt very comfortable.

The lowdown:
1:09:45 (my GPS said 1:09:24 ??)
2/251 in my age group (45-59)
41/3543 for females
225/5797 overall

John Shonyo said on Facebook I was the first finisher from Rochester. Wow. I had no idea. I'm so pleased. The first time I'd placed in such a big race. Only first place in the age group gets a comp entry next year, but I would be so happy if I would get a guaranteed entry and I'd pay the entry fee. I LOVE this race!! It's been my favorite for many years, and still is.

I have to say a huge CONGRATS to my good buddy Ron Giles who ran a P.R. today (2:42:56).
We were on the capital steps and I looked at my watch at 2:39 elapsed time and thought that I'd better start looking for him. Well, I looked up, looked on the street, and there he was! (Wearing the orange adidas shirt I'd helped him pick out at Running Room!) I knew his stride. I started screaming, ran down the steps ringing my orange ING Direct cowbell and started running as fast as I could in my street shoes and four layers (long-sleeved T, turtleneck, wool sweater and windbreaker) toward the finish line as fast as I could. I couldn't wait to give him a big hug!!

I don't know if I'm happier about my day or his!!
Somehow or other, I found my way into the elite tent, where they did the awards, to try to get my medal (which I didn't get ... I hope they're mailing them) and talked to Ben Marvin (who ran a 2:32:09) ...


and chatted with Jim Ramacier and Kelly Keeler-Ramacier. Thank you to those of you who said they were yelling for me at the finish. Sue Palmer, Jim and Cathy Torgerson ...Kelly Keeler, and others. I didn't hear you (except you, LaRee). I was pretty focused.
The bummer for today ... my camera battery went dead after just a couple of photos and my cell phone was also dead. :--( I was SOOOOO bummed. I do have a few pictures of friends, though. Joe Buckentine from St. Cloud ...
and Jackie Devine from St. Cloud.


Here's a photo of the overall winner.


Now it's time to taper for Whistlestop next weekend. The hardest week of the year for me. Though I do look forward to not setting an alarm this week, that's for sure.
I'll cover the rest in another post. Here's to TC10!! Cheers!!

3 comments:

roentgen said...

CONGRATS Renee on a fantastic run!! And welcome to the world of coffee :P

Kris said...

Congratulations!!! Great run. I ran the marathon and qualified for Boston with 3:50.27 I was so thrilled I cried like a baby!! My hard work paid off.
Kristin Saari

BillyBonesThePirateDog said...

Congratulations, Renee! Enjoy your new coffee addiction as well!