Monday, October 26, 2009

Monday Miscellany

A little this, a little that. Here goes ...

Lynn Saari loaned me her gaiters for the trail race on Saturday. I opted not to use them as I thought the wet soil would leave everything fairly compacted (it did), but I did see several people there wearing them. I'm going to make myself a pair. They're just lyrca with a piece of grossgrain ribbon and a big hook on one end, and a piece of velcro on the heel. Easy peasy!! I'll post a photo of mine when I'm done. These are Lynn's (on my leg :-):


Very fun fabric.

I stopped by ZZest late this afternoon (expansion of Leann Zubay's Culinary Market in the space previously occupied by Avocado's) but it's closed on Monday's. I'll try to get back later in the week and report on my findings. If it's half as fun as her old shop, it'll be great!!

I made another batch of Renee's Egg Bake tonight. I had some stuff I wanted to use up (some bread getting stale, some 2% milk, some scallions, peppers from the garden, ...), and they needed a photo for the November Running Room eMagazine. Vegeterian version with lots of mushrooms and peppers.



Tomorrow I'm going to make pepper jelly.

Happy belated birthday to Brian Erwin. He gets his birthday cookies tomorrow morning at the Y. What did he get on his real birthday? H1N1. :-(

The new website for the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon (trail, yes, but it's paved) is now live. Check it out.  I still need to decide how to present the photos, but the rest is ready for public viewing. It's a simple site, but I think it serves the purpose. I now know how to: design and create a website,  register a url and obtain web hosting services (with godaddy.com) and upload the files ... It was a fun little project.

Thursday is the Section 1A Cross Country meet at Northern Hills golf course. John Resman is the meet director and I'm sure he can still use help. Race directors never turn away good help. If you'd like to volunteer, contact him. You're needed from about 3:30 to 5:30.

Thursday is the also monthly TriRochester social get-together at Glynner's Pub at 6 pm. You don't have to be a member of the club to socialize, eat, whatever. Join us!! Come following the CC meet!!

I read in Saturday's paper that the Tootsie Roll is the preferred Halloween candy (at least on http://holidays.net/halloween/candy.htm) That's hard to swallow! (ha!) I can't believe those waxy things beat out Snickers, M&Ms, Nestle's Crunch, etc.

Also from Saturday's paper, another (ugly!) weather record was broken last week. The 92-year old snowfall record for Oct. 23. 4.1+ inches fell. The previous record was 1 inch, set in 1917. Sounds like it was really ugly around here: 7,400 RPU customers without power, broken tree branches (half my neighbors birch tree broke off), 20 to 30 accidents/hour. Quoting from the story, "October has been a cold, wet, ugly mess, and it's expected to continue ... On all but two days this month, the temperature has been below average, and on all but seven days, it has rained or snowed." Lovely.

I heard from my friend Kelly, who's on assignment in NY, and whom I'm going to visit in a couple weeks. Some suggested activities:
Typical tourist sites (Status of Liberty, Ground Zero, Times Square, etc.)
Culinary Institute of America
A Broadway play
A winery
Chelsea Market

There's just not enough time to see it all! But it's going to be a blast! I can't wait ...

Time to put this post, and me, to bed. Good night!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Renee- the updated website for Lake Wobegon TM looks great! Do you know if there will be a half marathon with the 2010 race? I thought there was last year, but don't see anything about it on the website.

Ramblin' Renee said...

Jen:
No half marathon at Lake Wobegon. There wasn't last year either. I don't think Sharon has any plans to add any other distances to the event. Thanks for checking!
Renee