Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Final Hours

Well, I can now almost count the hours until my next marathon. Whistlestop, in Ashland, WI. Saturday. 9 AM. It's going to be cold, but in general that's been a good thing when I run distance. Let's hope it goes well for everyone that's running on Saturday. And best wishes for those running Chicago on Sunday. The weather should be very good for that one. I don't think there's snow in the forecast for Sunday as there is for Saturday.

My favorite Norwegian, Ann-Kristin, is back in town!! I had lunch today with her, Jean, Julie and John.


That's Jean, Ann-Kristin, Julia and John, left to right. Ann-Kristin had a beautiful surprise for me. A charcoal colored hand-knit (by her mother) Norwegian sweater. It's beautiful.


And perfect. :-)


 
I've been baking up a storm this evening ... treats to bring along for all the hungry runners in Ashland. Well, not ALL the runners, but as many of my friends as possible. First, pumpkin bread with chocolate chips and toasted walnuts.


Then banana bread with chocolate chips and toasted walnuts. (I had a bunch of ripe bananas.)


Then double chocolate cookies.


And lastly, peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.



I've seen this vehicle in the parking lot oat work lately. It's got "Stormchaser" on the back window. ;-)



I heard on the radio today that they're on their third female winner for this year's Lakefront Marathon in Milwaukee. The first one was disqualified for taking a water bottle that she wasn't supposed to. The second for wearing an iPod. I guess the third one's a charm (and a repeat winner, actually).

From Mike Holmes:
Oct 8, 2009 10:23 am US/Central
No DQ For Marathoner, 81, Who Borrowed Catheter (AP) Sara Boyd/CBS/CBS

Organizers of the Twin Cities Marathon say they won't disqualify an 81-year-old runner who won his age group after using a borrowed catheter. Jerrry Johncock of Shelbyville, Mich., was sidelined at an aid station about 21 miles into Sunday's race because a blood clot prevented him from urinating. The aid station had no catheter, but a spectator stepped forward to offer Johncock a catheter he had in his car. Aides helped insert the catheter and Johncock went on to finish in a little over 5 hours 22 minutes. Race officials considered disqualifying Johncock because of a rule against improper assistance. But executive director Virginia Brophy Achman said they decided Johncock didn't break the rule. She called Johncock "a great role model and example of what you can do as a runner." Johncock's wife, Dorlene, said her husband was cheered by the ruling. She said he found the whole situation a little humorous.

Tomorrow on Half Off Friday (gift cards for half price on KROC.com) it's Famous Dave's. In googling that, I found this website: Half Off Deals There's lots more available on this one. The other one is just one merchant.

Well, that's all I know. I'll be back online on Sunday. Lots to report, I'm sure.

Stay warm. :-)

No comments: