Monday, June 6, 2011

Blogging

Sometimes, life gets in the way of blogging. That's true of last night and today. Life is challenging for me right now. But my blog is my happy place, so here I am, wanting to be happy. :-)

Yesterday I went for a long ride. 60 miles. It was a beautiful sunny day. Not a cloud in the sky. It was warm though. And windy from the east.






I wasn't planning to ride fast, so I wore my new biking short/skirt combo. Aerodynamic? No. Fun and feminine? Yes.


I also used my new TriRochester water bottle, which I really like. You can leave the spout thing up but the water won't splash out. I want to get another one. Mike Ewen's got them for $10. They're the larger size, too.


I rode to ... Salem Corners, Byron, Pine Island (was going to go to Wasioja but decided I didn't want to go any further west with the east wind), Douglas, Genoa (yes, UP Genoa hill ... I'd actually rather go up than down ... ), Byron, Salem Corners. Nice loop. Nice ride. However, I left sometime after 8:30 without having breakfast. Just a handfull of animal crackers and a piece of bread with jam. I had 2--90 calorie granola bars with me, but it wasn't enough. By 43 miles, I was bonking. But I made it OK. I was happy to get home, though.

I was tired of doing homeowner projects, so I sat on the patio in the shade (where it was still VERY warm) and read Running on Empty, which I finished last night. What a tale. Marshall Ulrich running across the US. An unfathomable number of miles. The inevitable personality conflicts with the crew. The unbelievable number of calories necessary to sustain that much activity day after day after day. But he did it and set a masters and grandmasters record.

About 5:00 or so I went out to Oxbow to hike in the woods. It was beautiful out there, though very mosquito-ey. My camera had malfunctioned during the ride ("Lens error") so I didn't get any Oxbow photos. The sun was getting low so the shadows were nice and long. It was just gorgeous. I hiked several miles on the trails.

This morning, I lifted and swam. Really a light day for me, but I had a nice swim. I was going to ride late this afternoon but got busy mowing, trimming trees, weeding (I was dripping sweat and had grass, sawdust and pollen stuck in the sweat ... it was rather lovely I must say). And it was so hot, I just decided I didn't have it in me to get on the bike. And my neck and "sitz bones" needed a day off. So I'll ride early tomorrow morning, probably 5:30'ish and get a nice long one in before work. And maybe swim at noon.

I'll close with the beginning of the Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; ...

All for now. Until tomorrow ...

No comments: