Sunday, April 11, 2010

Tri She Did!!


First off, beauty of a day. It just doesn't get much nicer than this for April. A very nice, easy run today of 10 miles. More on that in a sec.

LaRee asked me to take photos today of her participating in her first triathlon and I was happy to oblige. That's Laree on the right with a couple of other participants.


It was an indoor tri at the DAHLC. It was the culmination of a class being taught there.

Mike Schmitt was also participating.


1/2 mile swim, 13.1 mile bike, 5K run. She rocked it!! She was the first one out of the pool in her heat. She's a very good swimmer. Very smooth and efficient in the water.


Then it was on to the bike for what sounded like a hilly, challenging course.


Then it was up to the track for the 5K run. She ran very well and finished very strong. I was so proud of her.

Then we were off to Brothers for a celebratory breakfast. She had a blueberry walnut pancake. They're huge!!

I had oatmeal.

A note on the Fetzer. For both the overall and masters races, the winner was a female. This is the first time that has happened since it became an Equalizer. The women started 13 minutes before the men. The first woman came in several minutes before Digger Carlson, the overall winner. A note about Digger ... he won the race 20 years ago as well. Remarkable. He's an awesome runner and has been a faithful participant at the Fetzer for many years. And he's such a nice guy as well. :-) I didn't have to order any extra shirts this year, which is great. Have just a couple left. Got the results sent off to all the appropriate people. Check RaceberryJam in the next few days to see if there were any state records set this year. There usually are.

Tom Woo passed along a link to the Fools' Five photos he took today. I haven't looked for any results so don't know how anyone did other than Ron Giles got second overall. Way to go Ron!!

At 12:30 today, Randy, Andy, Trevor and I met at the RAC for a 10 mile run.

Randy, Andy, Trevor

Me and my buddies

I'd been thinking about running somewhere a little different. So we went west from the RAC,


north on 104, east on county 4, north on 50th Ave (to Holy Spirit church/school)




and got on the Douglas Trail at 55th St. It was a bit ... ok, quite a bit ... hillier than I remembered it being. It got warm, so we stopped at the school for a quick drink of H20. When we got back to the RAC, Randy kindly had cold beverages for us.

I had a few birthday cookies for Andy (4/10) and his wife Erin (4/9) which he graciously offered to share with us. A very enjoyable run. Thanks, guys. :-)

Tomorrow my Cooking Light group is having dinner together at Diane's house. On the menu:
Brown Soda Bread (me)
Black and Tan Brownies (Pam)
Shiitake and Sweet Pea Risotto (Barbara)
Maple and Soy-Glazed Flank Steak (Diane)
Mixed Citrus Green Salad (Laura)
Wine (Mary)
Appetizer (Margo)

The other day, I wasn't feeling so good about myself. I was in the elevator at OMC, going to pick up some safety pins from Greg Hagen, and a "little old lady" standing in the elevator across from me, a complete stranger, paid me a compliment. Just what I needed to hear to boost my spirits a bit. And I hope I can pay it forward. Say something nice ...maybe even to a stranger. Do someone a favor without expecting anything in return. Say "I love you". Life is short. It's an uncertain world. You just never know when you won't get that chance ... when it'll be too late.

Until next time.

No comments: