Saturday, December 12, 2009

Together We Run

Together, we run. We have fun. We laugh and joke. We vent. And sometimes we even cry. I'm so thankful for the bonds created pounding the pavement or trails with my "running buddies", for friendships new and old. And thus begins todays post. With friends.

I started my morning run at precisely 6:00 AM at Dunn Bros. (It was 6 degrees when I left the house. Definitely warmer than the last couple of days.)  I headed for the north side of the lake, with my sparkly "Santa Baby" hat on (so named by Randy Quint!). I soon ran across Bruce Petz out for his early morning run. So I asked him where he was running and decided to join him as he was running about as far as I thought I could in 90 minutes or less. So we headed around the lake and down to Cub Foods and then back up to 14th St NW via side roads. I still had 20-some minutes before I needed to be at Dunn Bros. so I headed around the lake again. I had 9.44 in by the time I got back. I was happy with that as the footing wasn't great even though I was wearing my Yak Trax.





(This is going to be FUN Trevor!!)

Then the group went up to 37th St and to Century High School, down Viola Road and around the lake. I got out my cookies when we got back and then went out around the lake again for a total of 20.26 miles. It wasn't fast, but I got 'er done. We all agreed that we get a few bonus miles for running in these conditions as it's definitely more work running in the snow.


I was dressed plenty warm today, if not overdressed. 3 layers on top (probably one too many). Gloves and my Running Room "warmest" mittens so my hands were never cold. When my hands are cold, I'm miserable. Seen around the lake on my final loop, Peter Maves with a couple of buddies, Hirohita Kita followed by Masami Kita.

It was nice to meet someone I hadn't met before, Mike Hodgeman from Zumbrota. A very nice guy and good runner.



When I got home I decided to dust and vacuum. And I decided I'd better have some boots and a hat in the trunk now so did that. This afternoon Matt got home from school (hoo yah!) and he helped me decorate the Christmas tree. :-) Such a good "kid" (he's 21). I did the lights.


I took a Christmas tree decorating class from Community Ed probably almost 20 years ago now. There are 2 tips I still remember: 1) She said to string the lights in and out each branch for depth (and to hide the cords a bit) instead of just winding them around the tree. I like the way that looks and have done it ever since. 2) When hanging ornaments make sure they hang freely and don't rest on a lower branch.

This is my tree skirt. I made it many years ago. It's pieced and quilted.



When my kids were in grade school at Rochester Central Lutheran, my friend Jeanne and I were in charge of the Christmas bazaar every year. We spent an unbelievable number of hours crafting each fall. Here are a few of the ornaments we made during a couple of those years:


Here's my collection of $5 Lorie Line bells. She didn't have a bell this year. :-(


Ta da. It's done.


This rocking chair was my mom's when she was a little girl. A treasured posession of mine. She passed away when I was 11.


I made this quilt a couple of years ago.


I used to do a lot of cross stitch, but haven't in many years now.


And the family room.


Well, that's a sneak peak at some of my Christmas stuff. I love decorating for Christmas.

Here's a photo of what's got to be the newest member of the Rochester running community, Evan Thomas Chestolowski, born yesterday morning. Such a big little guy. So precious. Again, congratulations Mary and Ed.


Here's a video of Matt and his acapella group Hear & Now singing Billy Joel's For the Longest Time. I think they do a bang-up job. This was shot at one of the dorms on campus.



Here's something passed along by my friend Sue Macken. It's a quick & simple way to raise $1 (each day, actually) for the local foodshelves: Kare 11 & Land O'Lakes are donating $1 (to a food shelf) for every person who clicks on their web site. Go to the website listed below and on the top right side of the screen there is the green area where it says: You Click, We donate . It's that easy. Please pass to all of your friends. I know that the food shelves are really hurting this year.
http://www.landolakesinc.com/company/corporateresponsibility/foundation/default.aspx
 
Don't forget to put Wednesday the 16th at 6 PM on your calendars. Carol on the Run at Running Room. My son Matt says he's going to join us. Yippee!! We'll have a nice low bass voice in the mix. Doesn't matter if you can't carry a tune in a bucket ... join us please.
 
Well, it's a wrap on another post. A few more age-isms from Rick:
 
I've learned that brushing my child's hair is one of life's great pleasures. Age 26
I've learned that wherever I go, the world's worst drivers have followed me there. Age 29
I've learned that if someone says something unkind about me, I must live so that no one will believe it. Age 30
I've learned that there are people who love you dearly but just don't know how to show it. Age 42
I've learned that you can make some one's day by simply sending them a little note. Age 44
I've learned that the greater a person's sense of guilt, the greater his or her need to cast blame on others. Age 46
I've learned that children and grandparents are natural allies. Age 47
I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. Age 48
 
Be well.

2 comments:

jhwall said...

Hi Renee,

Google Alert sent me a message on "Together We Run". I would like to invite you and your running club to check our website out www.TogetherWeRun.com

We are members of the Upper Peninsula Road Runners Club and U.S. Running Streak Association. We have given a few talks and presentations at running clubs, and running stores if any interest.
We like to promote "Don't Wait, Do it"
Thanks
John Wallace
jhwall@TogetherWeRun.net

Cheapest Diablo 3 gold said...

Your card is definitely beautiful -- along with what a beautiful reward. Any girl can be delighted to obtain this particular.
Many thanks for a person creativity.