Monday, December 21, 2009

Firsts

Happy first day of winter!! Feels like it's been "wintering" for a while now even though the calendar said it was still autumn. But at least the days will begin getting longer now.

Time to go back to the first part of my weekend--Friday. I went up to Mall of America to hit the Nickelodeon store to shop for my niece and nephew. They're big Spongebob Squarepants and Dora the Explorer fans. I'm also doing Christmas shopping for my dad and step-mom who live in Florida. I found a few things and then headed for one of my favorite stops, Williams-Sonoma, a kitchenwares store. My friend Mary had made me a birthday cake that looked like a big sandwich cookie and I thought, I just have to have those pans. They're SOOO me! So that was what was on my shopping list. I also found some little pearls to put on my cut-outs when I finally get around to doing them (maybe tomorrow). I usually do snowflakes, but I must have a million cookie cutters. Well, not a million, but quite a few!


After leaving Mall of America the next stop on my list was Trader Joe's in Maple Grove, a frequent stop when going to or coming from St. Cloud. Hemlock Lane exit off I-94, just east of the 494 turnoff. Anyway, I just love that store. (As does Julie, who left a comment on my blog!) It's not big store, but it's so much fun to walk up and down the aisles and look at all the interesting things they sell. Good prices, too. I had an agenda this time, and actually, it involved the liquor side of the store though I did a quick walk through on the food side as well. So first I went looking for the display of bottled beer. Why, you may ask? I'm not known as a big beer drinker. (I prefer wine.) I have finally been invited to the 6th annual 5K Fun Run and Beer Exchange!! I'm the only "girl" on the list of 47 invitees so it's indeed an honor. (It sounds like about 10 usually show up.) I can totally hold my own amongst this motley crew! It's Saturday morning, 8 AM, followed by breakfast. Here are the rules:

1) Light beer is not allowed.
2) You are giving a gift to another runner, make it a good one.
3) Gift wrapping is mandatory (Use a brown paper bag, after all it's for a guy. [Or girl!! My addition.] Man rules dictate using a non-descript method of decoration.) Duct tape is optional.).
4) Light beer is really not allowed!!!

So I picked a selection of bottles of ales. You can mix 'em up, i.e. you don't have to buy 6 bottles all of the same variety. So here's my selection:




I was still nervous about it, so I emailed the "social director" for the event and it sounds like my selection will pass muster. :-) A guy who was also shopping for beer in the store highly recommended the Full Sail Pale Ale (as did the cashier who said it was a favorite of his). Now I think I want to keep that one and try it myself! I will certainly give you a full report on this event come Saturday. I picked up just a couple things on the food side: lemon curd, bruschetta and pumpkin pie spice.


Then it was up to St. Cloud. First stop in St. Cloud was the EnduRUNce Shop to talk to the owner Kevin about a donation for the club's annual banquet in January. He very generously gave me: 1 Wigwam hat, 1 saucony face mask, 2 pairs of liner gloves and two pairs of Brooks combo gloves/mittens. So that makes 47 prizes to give away. Yippee!! I believe this will be the first  year they've given away prizes at the banquet.



Then it was off to Panera to meet with Ron and Pat about the River Runners' website. I am taking over for Ron at the first of the year. I got my copy of the FrontPage software and the low-down from the guys as to how to go about making changes. The site is updated frequently with postings from club members. I'd like to add a page for our women's race team. :-) Anyway, installing that and getting going on on that new venture will have to wait until next week. Still got way too many things to get done before Christmas (making lefse, making cut-out cookies, hopefully getting at least a few cards out, finishing shopping, etc.).

After leaving Panera, I headed for Crossroads mall. My first stop there was JCPenney as Matt wanted some new BVDs. :-) I had two different certificates/coupons for $10 off a $10 purchase. They were $17 for a 3-pack and there was a BOGO half off sale. So I asked the cashier if I could use both certificates on one purchase and she said I could. Shock!! They don't usually let you do that. So I redeemed them both and ended up getting $34 worth of BVDs for $5.25. I love a bargain. :-) Then I headed over to Target to pick up a few more things for Kaleigh and Andrew (I'm done shopping for them now). That was plenty for one day.

Saturday morning brought very pleasant running conditions and a 15.00 mile run with the River Runners.


They have an 8:00 AM start time, but many of the runners "front load" when wanting to either: 1) get in more miles first, and/or 2) get an earlier start on their run. So we got in about 8 miles by 8:00 and then I got in 7 more after 8:00.


I ran the last five or so with Tag D. and Mike M. It was all I could do to keep up. I was just hanging on by my fingernails. But it was fun to talk bikes with them. After running, we retired to the Meeting Grounds coffee shop for the usually coffee and breakfast.



Thank you Gene G. for clearing my way into the men's rest room to change clothes. I'd been waiting probably 15-20 minutes in my damp clothes for the women's to open up and it never did. Gene graciously took care of that little situation. Thank you Gene! They're such a sociable, likeable bunch. I love 'em all! I had a big ol' bran muffin that probably cost me about 500 calories, but it was very good. I had to leave by 10:30 to make it back to Rochester by 1:00 for Etta's birthday lunch.


That's me, Etta, Laura and Julie at Panera where we had lunch. I ate the same thing I'd had in St. Cloud the night before: A You Pick Two consisting of a half BBQ chicken salad and a half country turkey sandwich. It was very good.


(I took the hunk of baguette home and that, in addition to a container of yogurt, became my very uninspired but very quick supper!) Geuss what? We all gave her socks!! Great minds think alike.


Who should happen by our table but ... Pete Martin!


He was delivering a box of hand warmers for Julie Yost to give to the other Julie Yost. :-) They'e sisters-in-law. He said you can get them at Fleet Farm. I'm sure there'll be a "run" on them now. :-)



Sitting at the table next to us, unbeknownst to me, was a track club member who recognized me from the RTC newsletter. Daniel Assad and his wife. Here they are:


After doing some baking Saturday afternoon for the cookie exchange on Sunday, I ran another 5.72 making 20.72 miles for the day. It was a beautiful run. Dark, quiet, peaceful and my legs felt great. Just one of those "zen" runs that are hard to forget. Then quickly after returning home, Matt and I went to the Mannheim Steamroller concert at the Civic Center. It was their Christmas concert and it was wonderful. It was the first time Matt had seen them in concert. I love their unique sound. We had such a nice mother-son evening together.



Well, that brings me to the end of Saturday. I need to get supper going so I'll post Sunday's events (cookie exchange and Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer meeting), along with other random rantings, in my next post.

Toodles!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Renee,
I just love reading your blog!! You write with such enthusiasm and good humor! It must feel pretty good to be considered one of the guys:) Also, I love your sandwich cookie cake pan...very cute:)