Sunday, December 27, 2009

This 'n That


(My nephew Andrew :-)

This morning I ran 7.15 miles before church. It was 14 degrees and quite pleasant actually. A bit of a NW wind, but I didn't mind. I was dressed appropriately. Nice, peaceful run--a few snowflakes in the air. Legs felt fine after 15 yesterday. Late morning I ran down to the Y and lifted, then swam for an hour, then ran to the library to return 3 books, then ran to Canadian Honker to request a donation of chicken noodle soup for Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer and then ran home. (About 5 miles total.) It was one of those days where I felt like I could just run and run and run ... Love those days. :-)

I attempted making peanut brittle for the first time on Christmas Eve. I calibrated my candy thermometer before starting (water boiled at 210) so I knew it was reading 2 degrees cold. According to the recipe I needed to cook it until it got to hard crack stage (300 degrees). Well, I boiled and boiled and it wasn't getting much past 265. So I dropped a little syrup in cold water and sure enough, it turned brittle so I knew it was at hard crack and took it off the heat. Don't know what was up with the thermometer. I was actually worried I'd burned it as it smelled really hot. But after pouring it out and cooling it, it had turned out just fine. So I'm pleased with my first foray into candy making.



Christmas dinner was turkey and the trimmings. I cooked the "roast beast" in one of those Reynold's bags in my roaster again. It works beautifully. The turkey is so moist, though very anemic looking as it doesn't really brown. But the skin gets tossed anyway.


Last night I made turkey wild rice soup, which everyone enjoyed.

New Years' Eve: There is a run planned from Beetles on 2nd at 4 pm Thursday. 2-5 miles and then some social time. Might be held in conjunction with Team R.E.D. I will be there.

Reminder: Med-City marathon registration (half, full) is $30 through 12/31. That's a bargain.

I'll leave you with this photo of Chrismas gifts from friends ...


Quote for the day: "Life's short; eat cookies". :-)

4 comments:

Julie said...

Wow, I am amazed at your workouts...15 miles yesterday followed by 7.5 today. I can at this point only dream of the day that my body will be strong enough to handle training like that. I ran for about 6 today. It is frustrating running outside because my sidewalks are not cleared and the roads really suck. Are you running the roads or do you run at the Y? Thanks for the pep talk on the half...I needed that:)

Tricia said...

14 degrees and pleasant? :) Crazy!

Your nephew is too cute!

Julie said...

Maybe I need to get the spikes, it sounds like it might be a good investment. I also hate running on the mill and I really don't like running around the little track at Life Time. I try to get out on weekends and I always have Wednesdays off...that is my long day. It is harder to get the runs in after work because I don't like running in the dark. I need one of those running hats with the light:)

Cheap Diablo 3 gold said...

AWESOME work. And amazing assortment of tools to work... Really great!!