Sunday, December 13, 2009

Social Event of the Season

And it was this afternoon at the Shonyo's beautiful home (and property) in rural Oronoco.


There were lots and lots of runners in attendance.




Above, Lana, Sonja and Scott. A huge welcome back to the U.S.to Scott Kranz who arrived home from a year on duty in Bagdhad, Iraq on Thursday. It was his second tour.


Kevin and Lori Torgerson. BTW: Kevin will be portraying Bob Cratchit in the play A Christmas Carol on Friday evening at John Adams Middle School at 7 PM. It's free and open to the public.

The Shonyos have such a lovely home and Lucy certainly has a knack for displaying her collectibles.





Tomorrow the fireplace will be history to be replaced by a new more energy-efficient insert and real stone facing and mantel.

Suzanne Dinusson came up to me and said, "I just have to tell you ... I love your blog." That never fails to make my day. Thank you, Suzanne. :-)


Back to the start of my day. At church this morning, Pastor Rance and his daughter (age 5) Addisyn sang the song Christmas Shoes. I just love that song. Here's the YouTube video of Newsong singing it. They're the ones who sing it on the radio.



After church, I ran down to the Y (saw Aaron and Allison Benike out running) to lift and swim. (Saw Wendy Nevala in the pool.) Talked to Sarah Torchia in the locker room. (I can't go anywhere without seeing someone I know.) There was one open lane when I got there, but at noon the pool emptied out and for the next 45 minutes I was the only one in there. I felt sorry for the poor lifeguards watching a middle-aged woman swim v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y up-and-down and up-and-down and up-and-down ... You get the picture.

Way to go Vikings for pulling out the win vs. the Bengals.

Heidi Martin asked me for one of the cookie recipes, so as long as I'm sending it I might as well post it too. Oatmeal Party Cookies


1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
2 tsp. vanilla (use real vanilla in this one)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1 6-ounce package (1 cup) semisweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli dipping chocolate from Sam's Club)
Finely chopped walnuts

Cream together the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and salt till light and fluffy. Stir in flour and rolled oats. Using about 2 tsp. dough for each, shape into 1-inch balls or 1 1/2" logs. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet in slow oven (325) for 20 minutes. Cool on rack. Meanwhile melt chocolate pieces over hot water. Remove from sheet; dip tops of round cookies and one end of each log in chocolate, then in chopped walnuts. Let set overnight before stacking cookies to store; keep in cool place. Makes about 4 1/2 dozen small cookies.

I have another super busy week this week. Tomorrow evening, Cooking Light (we just do appetizers, desserts and wine in December). Tuesday, girls' night out (dinner at Redwood Room and a movie--The Blind Side). Backup plan--track workout at RCTC indoor track. Wednesday, annual Christmas lunch with about 10 friends. I'm bringing a salad and cookies. Wednesday evening, Carol on the Run at Running Room at 6 PM. Thursday, Byron Team R.E.D. progressive dinner??? run. Friday, the cities and possibly St. Cloud for the River Runners Saturday breakfast run. Friday back-up plan, lunch with Barb and then watching Kevin in A Christmas Carol. Saturday, birthday lunch with some gal pals and Mannheim Steamroller in the evening with Matt. Sunday afternoon, 25+ at my cookie exchange here and then a L.U.A.B.C. meeting in the evening. Whew!! I have no idea what's on the docket for the week after that. I just need to see my way through this one first!

Some more age truisms from Rick:
I've learned that singing "Amazing Grace" can lift my spirits for hours. Age 49
I've learned that motel mattresses are better on the side away from the phone. Age 50
I've learned that you can tell a lot about a man by the way he handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights. Age 51
I've learned that keeping a vegetable garden is worth a medicine cabinet full of pills. Age 52
I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you miss them terribly after they die. Age 53
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life. Age 58

Have a wonderful week.

No comments: