Friday, August 7, 2009

Worn Out

When I got up this morning, I looked outside on the front step and this is what I saw. The deer had decimated my impatiens. They've been munching on them all summer, but this time they REALLY did a number on them. So that's it for the impatiens. I think I'll replace them with a couple of mums and hope for the best. Sometimes Bambi makes me SOOOO frustrated!!

Today was my day for a long run for the week. I dinked around the house longer than I should have this morning, and I paid for it. It was after 7:00 by the time I got going. The first 9 miles were fine. Hilly, but fine. (Down Fox Valley Drive SW to county 22 to Meadow Lakes up 2nd St SW hill right on County 104 right on 19th St NW up through a new neighborhood north of Prairie Walls climbing gym to the Douglas Trail). That's where the rain started (and about where I saw Pete Gilman). I continued on the relative shelter of the trail to 55th St NW. That's when it REALLY started coming down. I was east of highway 52 and as soaked as I could get. Then I turned south on 18th Ave and into the wind and really started feeling cold. And I knew I had at least 6 more miles to get home. I was feeling a little woozy, too. So I stopped at Casey's and asked for a big trash bag to rip some holes in and use as a little protection from the rain and wind. It helped. I probably looked like a dork, but didn't much care. I headed straight for home, stopping at Ciber for some more water. I was sooooooo happy to get home. 20.33 miles later.

Feel fine, now. :-) Even took a little nap at noon.

On Wednesday, P.K. and I talked about canning peaches. She's canned them in a combo of Riesling and Muscado. I think that sounds fantastic and might try it. I found a recipe online for canning peaches in a rose wine. I think I could substitute the riesling/muscado for the rose. But I know you do have to be careful when canning.

I have exactly one story (mine) for the September issue of RTC News! Not good! If you have something you'd like to contribute, please send it my way. Soon. :-) Thanks.

The August issue of the Running Room eMAGAZINE is now available. My Rochesterfest Triathlon story is on page 4, a Stewartville Summerfest story by Peg Arnold on page 5 and a Spinach Salad recipe from me as well as a $10 off coupon on page 12.

From Jean Murray: Time for a Hot Summer Night Beer Run!?? Meet next Thursday, Aug. 13 at 5:30 pm at Glynner’s Pub at Northbrook Plaza, N. Broadway. We’ll start with some running ,,,really! Perhaps Team RED members from Byron will join us and show us how it’s done!

Are you sans-GPS? Here's a route-mapping/pedometer tool passed along by my friend Leslie. Thanks, Leslie!!

I was talking yesterday with Melissa Gacek from White Bear Lake yesterday on the phone. She's running the Rochester Half and was asking about the course and whether there were any hills. I said that yes, the new course does have some hills. :-) She said it sounded like good training for TCM. I agree!! So please ... consider running it. Or the 5K.

I added a few recipes and photos on my recipe blog today. :-) Speaking of recipes, here's a good one. Just tried it for the first time this morning.

Overnight Oatmeal Pancakes


2 c. old fashioned oats
2 c. buttermilk or plain yogurt
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/2 c. flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

1. Mix oats and buttermilk or yogurt in large bowl and let sit overnight.

2. In the morning, mix eggs and butter with oat mixture.
3. Stir dry ingredients together and add to other ingredients. (I added a little extra buttermilk at this point--maybe 1/2 cup--to thin out the batter a little.)

4. Coat nonstick griddle with a small amount of oil. Preheat on low/med heat. When hot, add batter in 1/4 cup amounts.


These pancakes take longer to cook ... about 3 minutes on each side.

It's time for me to make Marilee Hardyman her long-awaited Snickerdoodle cookies (and listen to the Twins on the radio--who knows? maybe since they lost to Cleveland they'll beat Detroit? Stranger things have happened). Marilee got the "Where Is It?" contest right in the newsletter back in May. I am so negligent on getting these cookies to her! They'll be delivered to the RAC at 6:50 AM.

Thought for the day:

At age 4 success is .....not wetting your pants
At age 12 success is....having friends
At age 17 success is....having a drivers license
At age 35 success is....having money
At age 50 success is....having money
At age 70 success is....having a drivers license
At age 75 success is....having friends
At age 80 success is....not wetting your pants

~Author Unknown

Until tomorrow.

No comments: