Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tuesday's Tidbits

What a beautiful summer day today. And it sounds like it's going to be nice all week.

Paula Patterson is a runner, and a friend of many of us. Her husband Bruce is battling pancreatic cancer. They are having a fundraiser for the family on Friday, August 21. More information can be found at Fight for Bruce .

I just registered for the Lakes Country triathlon in Baxter, MN on August 23, the day after the Rochester Half marathon. Speaking of which ... we still need volunteers! If you're not running, please consider giving us a hand. You'll get a T-shirt. :-) Email Jean if you can help out. Bring a friend, your family, a group that you're associated with ... all volunteers are welcome and appreciated. There will be a packet stuffing party at my house next week. Most likely Wednesday evening. Stay tuned.

It'll soon be time for me to put together another issue of RTC News. And I need stories. I think I'll have two once I get Ed Maslowski's story. If you have something you could contribute, please do! email me. PLEASE!!

From Bill Nevala: Hello Friends! We have received your message loud and clear, you want us to bring back registration for the Treadman Duathlon! Thank you for communicating with us. We have now opened online registration back up on Active.com and we have the download form on our website. We need you to register as soon as possible. Our T-Shirt deadline is Aug 16th. If you want to guarantee you will receive one of our really nice SweatVac Long Sleeve T-Shirts, please get your registration in by Aug 15th. Register now by visiting: http://winmultisports.com/tmd_registration.html (I'm thinking about doing it. I co-invented the thing 3 years ago. :-)

There's a workout logging/networking site called Strands that' new. Check it out!

From the folks at CardioVision2020: Greetings! To help raise awareness during "High Blood Pressure Awareness Month", you're invited to Rochester's Walking Wednesdays this week (Wednesday, August 12th) Where? The Peace Plaza-First Street walkway area (in front of the Marriott Hotel) When? Blood pressure checks from 12-1pm; Walk goes from 12:15-12:45 pm Who? Everyone is welcome to participate. Why? Physical activity is enjoyable, invigorating, and actually helps lower blood pressure, among other things. What? We'll walk with others from our community to one of the nearby fire stations and back. (The firefighters are willing and able to check your blood pressure if you'd like them to.) What else? Free water for the first 20 people, and a prize drawing. See you there! The CardioVision 2020 team

It was a great morning for a run today. I decided to do speedwork again. Same time. Same place. 2.25 mile warm-up and then 10 x 1/4 mile. Times: 1:32 1:33 1:32 1:30 1:28 1:30 1:28 1:29 1:30 1:28 1:28. That last one HURT. I jogged back a 1/4 mile to get my water bottle and decided to do one more for good measure. And to make sure I was really done. It was 1:33. Yup. I was done. Then I ran a l-o-n-g cooldown until I had 10.29 for that run. So total for the day was 12.54. A good workout. Felt great. :-) Chatted with Greg Hagen over by DAHLC. He was biking to work. I told him I still owed him a batch of cookies. :-)

On the way home from the law office I bought peaches to can in a combo of Riesling and Muscado (wine). The gals last night thought it sounded terrific. As do I. They'll be perfectly ripe in a day or two. Over ice cream ... yum!

The boys picked about 10 gallons of green beans today (I think--I was at work all day). Matt froze them tonight, bless his heart. 36 quarts. And 15 last night. My freezer runneth over ...

It was hopping at the Running Room late this afternoon. LOTS of people in buying shoes for cross country. Did you know that student athletes get a 20% discount? Yup! Just mention it when you check out.

Tomorrow I'm going to the movie Julie and Julia with some friends. It's about Julia Child and a gal who made every recipe in Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking in one year. I've heard good things about it. But how can you go wrong with a foodie movie??

Quote for the day: "Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do. " --John Wooden

Good night.

No comments: