Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Perfect Day, Part 3

Yet another perfect Minnesota summer day. 70s, low humidity, puffy clouds. Looks like some rain might move in overnight, which is fine as we do need it. Though I really need to get down to my garden and start picking!!



As I mentioned in yesterday's post, my friend Stacy and her family were over for dessert last night. They moved from Rochester to Chapel Hill, NC 3 years ago. It was so much fun to see them again. The girls are getting so big. Pictured are Jon, Emily, Stacy and Miriam Abramowitz.


For dessert I made Oatmeal Cookie-Peach Cobber. It has to be one of the best dessert recipes I've ever made. The boys agreed. It's from Cooking Light magazine.

Oatmeal Cookie-Peach Cobbler

TOPPING:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
4.5 oz. all-purposed flour (about 1 cup)
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

FILLING:
11 c. sliced peeled peaches (about 5 pounds)
1/3 cup granulated sugar (I mixed in a little brown sugar for flavor)
2 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
(I added about 1/2 tsp. cinnamon)

Preheat oven to 350.
To prepare topping, place first 3 ingredients in a largr bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; beat well. Weight or lightly spon 1 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine 1 cup flour, oats, baking powder, and salt; stir with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture; beat at low speed until blended. Cover and chill 30 minutes.


To prepare filling, combine sliced peeled peaches, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 2 Tbsp. flour, and fresh lemon juice in a bowl; toss to coat.

Spoon mixture into a 13x9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Dollop 12 mounds of chilled dough over peach mixture at even intervals. (I spread it out more than that.)

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.

Mary brought some wine ...

and we enjoyed a very nice evening. P.K. walked up the big hill to join us ...


I canned peaches today and have some left over. I told Eric I could can some more or make another pan of this dessert. He said that was a VERY easy choice. I, however, don't want the temptation of a whole pan of this sitting around. Our cooking group is getting together at my friends Jay and Joan's on Sunday evening for pizza. We each make our own and then cook them on his wood-fired oven in the back yard. It's always a WONDERFUL time. Anyway, I'm bringing dessert and I think this would be a good choice. I told Eric he should come along. :-)

This morning I went to the Y and lifted. I got home at 7:24 and decided I had enough time to do a tempo run. So I ran the 7.15 mile loop around the hill. I ran 4 miles during the tempo: 7:08 7:00 6:56 6:49 A bit faster than I'd planned but at least it got me home in time to get to work at 9:00!! I was going to do TNT this evening but I was so sleepy today that I decided I didn't need to do a triathlon in addition to everything else. Tomorrow morning I'll do my long run (it might be in the rain) and then Saturday will be off in prep for Sunday's 15K up in Edina.

Today for lunch I met Betsy Baartman and Judy Weller at Panera. We had a very nice time. It's good to have good friends. :-) Judy and Betsy are running the Leading Ladies half marathon next weekend. (Though Judy may be running the whole thing as a training run for her Ironman Louisville coming up at the end of the month ... I can't remember.)



I had You Pick Two with a half strawberry poppyseed salad and half of some kind of chicken sandwich, which I also can't remember! I'm very tired today ...




This afternoon, I canned a load ...

of peaches (7 pints).



At Running Room: Buy 2 pairs of socks and get a free Saucony bag. While supply lasts.




From Bill "Multisport" Nevala: Greetings Multisport Friends! Due to extremely low registrations for the 2009 Treadman Duathlon on Sept 5th, 2009, we have announced the cancellation of the event. Several emails and calls have come our way in the past 24 hours asking us to reconsider. I would like to ask you all if you have an interest in this event? If you would like for us to re-open registration for this event, contact us at wnevala@yahoo.com by Midnight, Sunday, August 9th if you wish to register. If we do open registrations back up we need to have your registration confirmed by Aug 16th, 2009, which is our T-Shirt ordering deadline. We need to have at least 100 registrants by Aug 16th or we will be forced to cancel the race altogether. If I have at least 100 potential registrants email me, I will re-open registration. If you want this event to happen, we need you to express your interest asap. Thank You, Bill Nevala, Race Director CONTACT ME AT: wnevala@yahoo.com or WINMultisports@gmail.com

Well, I think I'm going to call it a night. It's 10:30, I'm tired and I have a busy 3 days coming up. (Tomorrow: long run, get to the garden, lots to do around the house--and I owe 2 people a batch of cookies each; Saturday: baking bread and making blueberry jam with Etta, 40th birthday party in the PM; Sunday: morning 15K in the cities with my race team and the pizza party in the PM).


Ciao.

No comments: