Thursday, August 20, 2009

Rainy Days and Thursdays

Yes, it was a rainy one today. On and off, but fairly persistent. And chilly. And a little breezy. But the RTC annual picnic went off without a hitch. I brought Chicken Pesto Pasta which was gone before I got through the line.


But that was just fine with me. :-) And cookies of course. Pete Martin once again brought his home grown sweet corn, picked just 30 minutes before the picnic. It was fantastic. So tender and sweet. Dwight Pierson, who founded the club 40 years ago this year, was there to give a little history about the club. Dick Norman was there as well.


Lots of good food and lots of friends to chat with. Doesn't get much better than that. I met two brand new RTC members, Karl-Peter and Rachel Hammer,

who just moved to Rochester from New Orleans. Very nice couple. They asked for some winter running/dressing tips which I will put in the newsletter. It will certainly be different for them this winter! They even volunteered to help with registration on Saturday morning, and then will run the half marathon. Wonderful!!

The weather for Saturday (Rochester Half Marathon and 5K) sounds PERFECT. A low in the 50's and high of 77. Sunny. Not windy. Not humid. That ROCKS!! We have 554 registered in the half marathon and 135 in the 5K. And LOTS of inquiries about race-day registration. It's going to be hoppin' on 3rd St S. and Broadway come Saturday morning. Also, this is the 25th running of this event and will be the last year for the handmade stone trophies. So we encourage you to stick around for the award ceremonies. K.C. and I will be the MCs. there's a "Rochester Half Marathon" clothing sale at Running Room. Check it out when you come in for your packets, which we strongly encourage you to do on Friday as Saturday is going to be EXTREMELY busy at the hotel. Thanks so much!!

There is a new Running Room opening this fall in Eden Prairie which means staff needs to be hired. If you are interested in a manager, ass't manager, part-time staff or clinic instructor position, please contact parnold@runningroom.com

I ran a tempo run this morning. 2 mile warm-up, then 5 miles then cool down. Tempo miles: 7:07 6:54 6:44 6:43 6:33. Practically perfect. :-) Nice morning, but a big muggy. Didn't get rained on, though, so that was a plus. Spotted on the run were two speedy runners: Ian Lanza and Marie Boyd. Tomorrow AM I'm doing my long run. I'll run the half marathon course again as part of the run.

I've heard from a few blog readers that the Victory 10K (Labor Day) is a fast course. So I'm considering running it. If anyone else is running and would like to carpool, let me know.

For anyone who's visited my recipe blog, there are a couple of recipes that require cinnamon chips. The only place that I can find that still sells them in Rochester is Cub Foods, which I just discovered this afternoon. I actually picked up several bags in Winona on Tuesday. I was thrilled to find them at Mid-Town Foods. :-) So were some of my baking buddies.

New from CLIF: Clif Quench and Shot Roks (protein bites).

Well, I believe this brings me to the end of another post. No telling when the next one will be with everything going on this weekend (I'm also participating in a triathlon on Sunday and will be having dinner with some of my St. Cloud River Runner friends on Saturday in St. Cloud). Busy weekend indeed! But that's the way I like it.

Thought for the day: "It isn't the load that weighs us down, it's the way we carry it."

Ciao!

No comments: