Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Back to It

Back to a normal post. :-) I'll post a slideshow of the triathlon tomorrow. It's already getting late.
A P.R. of sorts: 221 hits on my blog for Monday. My previous P.R. was 219. Thanks for stopping by!!

Good luck to Mark Carey and Judy Weller who will be participating in Ironman Louisville this weekend!

I am now officially registered for TC10 on October 4, one of my favorite races. Thank you to Peg Arnold and Running Room for the promotion/drawing that got me in. I am VERY excited to run this race. 10 miles is a good distance for me, and it's so much fun to run it and then get cleaned up and watch the marathon. Can't wait!!

From Bill Nevala: The 4th Annual Treadman Duathlon is on and growing by the day. We are now up to 110 participants pre-registered and that will no doubt climb as we near race day. We have a need for volunteers for this event. The race starts at 8:30 a.m. in Pine Island. We need volunteers for Race Day Registration/Check In, Finish Line, Water Stops, and Course Marshals. We also could use a lead vehicle and trail vehicle. If you can help us on Saturday Sept 5th, please let us know asap. Thank You, Bill and Wendy Nevala 507-269-3591 or wnevala@yahoo.com

Today's workout: speedwork, as has become de rigueur on Tuesdays. But today, the radar looked a bit ominous as did the NW skies. But the animated map on wunderground.com indicated that the storm was just going to miss Rochester, moving toward the NE. So I headed out to run my 1/4s, minus my tunes just in case the skies opened up. The air was thick with humidity. Very sticky morning.

I did manage to escape rain until the last couple of miles. Warmed up for 2 miles then started running the 1/4s on 2nd St SW, starting at county 22 and heading east. Splits: 1:32 1:30 1:29 1:29 1:27 1:28 1:28 1:28 1:29 1:27 They felt more difficult today. I'm guessing it was a combination of things: The tri on Sunday and the heavy air. Felt like I was sucking wind at the end of just about every one. But I got 'em done. :-) Then since I got an early start I had time for a nice l-o-n-g cooldown and ended up with a 15.38 mile run. From 2nd St, headed over to Kwik Trip on Civic Center Drive for some nice cold water and then to Great Harvest for a slice of cinnamon chip bread. I was hungry. A good workout.

Kind of a quiet morning due to the weather. The only runner that I knew was Marie Boyd, spotted while I was on my way to work.

Julie Murray did this pen and ink drawing for/of me from the Rochesterfest Triathlon. It's got so much detail. I love it! Thank you, Jules!

Got some sweet corn at HyVee yesterday. It was phenomenal. The best corn I've had this summer. That and a spinach salad and turkey burger and I was good to go.


Wednesday evening: My Yack 'n Snack group is getting together for our annual salad supper. Everyone brings a salad to share. The hostess provides bread, beverage and dessert. It's lots of fun, and delicious.

Thursday evening: TriRochester social gathering at Glynner's Pub. From Mike Ewen: Glynner's Pub, August 27th at 6:00pm. Feel free to bring spouses, significant others, friends, kids, etc... Come out and enjoy a great selection of cold brews, good food, and of course good conversation among club members! This gathering is open to all club members and non-club members, maybe you're interested in learning what the club is about and meeting some people with interests in multi-sport... Come, ask questions, and socialize with us!

I think this Joe Heller cartoon is VERY funny!!


Time to wrap this up and get to bed. I think I still am suffering from a sleep deficeit.

Within the last couple of days, a friend of mine was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor, stage 3. This is the third friend who's gotten this diagnosis. I am so sad, so scared for him. He has a real fight ahead.

All of our days are numbered. We just don't know the number. That being the case, make the most of each day. Live each one to the fullest, as if, and in case, it's your last. Tell those you love that you love them. Don't leave for tomorrow what you can accomplish, enjoy, experience today. Just in case ...

If Today Was Your Last Day (Nickelback)

My best friend gave me the best advice
He said each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride

If today was your last day and tomorrow was too late
Could you say goodbye to yesterday?
Would you live each moment like your last
Leave old pictures in the past?
Donate every dime you had, if today was your last day?
What if, what if, if today was your last day?

Against the grain should be a way of life
What's worth the price is always worth the fight
Every second counts 'cause there's no second try
So live like you're never living twice
Don't take the free ride in your own life

If today was your last day
Would you make your mark by mending a broken heart?
You know it's never too late to shoot for the stars
Regardless of who you are

So do whatever it takes
'Cause you can't rewind a moment in this life
Let nothing stand in your way
'Cause the hands of time are never on your side

And would you call those friends you never see?
Reminisce old memories?
Would you forgive your enemies?
And would you find that one you're dreaming of
Swear up and down to God above
That you'd finally fall in love if today was your last day?

No comments: