Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Life is a Whirlwind

What a busy day it's been. Sometimes even I can't fathom how much I can pack into 24 hours. I guess when you slept 5 hours the night before, that leaves lots more time for "stuff" during the day. Not such a good thing, really ...

The day started with 11 x 1/4 mile. It was a cool morning. I would have been more comfortable with gloves on, truth be told. I retied my shoes twice and my hands were cold enough that it was difficult. I neglected to start my watch for the last 1/4 so I don't have a time for that one but here are the first ten: 1:31 1:26 1:23 1:24 1:25 1:24 1:26 1:26 1:22 (well, shoot me out of a cannon!) 1:25 It was a good workout. Then I ran some more ... yes, I'm compulsive ... for a total of 13.27 miles. Everything went well. Nothing was hurting. :-) I saw Jean Murray and John Shonyo out on 2nd St SW getting in their early morning miles. In the final miles I saw Gina Sundsmo and Jane Reimers by St. Mary's Hospital.

FYI: I've gotten some questions/comments about being seen running down 6th St SW with a backpack on. Yes, it's true. And people want to know why I'm running with a backpack and/or what's inside. My towel, swim cap and goggles, and occationally flippers. So there. :-)

Just a reminder that the RTC picnic is on Thursday at 6 pm at Soldiers' Field park. It's potluck and the RTC will provide beverages and table service. Please come! RSVP to John Shonyo It'll be a celebration of 40 years of existence for the RTC. There are a couple of stories in tonight's paper about the same topic: This one and this one .

FAQs regarding the races on Saturday:
1) Yes, you can register the day of the event.
2) No, you cannot wear headphones (per the waiver).
3) Maps are on the race page on the RTC website
4) There are maps on that page, too. The .pdf link has both maps.
5) Please pick up your packets on Friday at Running Room from 4-9 if at all possible. It's very crowd at the hotel on Saturday morning. Thanks!!

After work I mowed the lawn and then Matt and I took a load of stuff to Winona. It was a beautiful day for moving in. Matt will go back for the semester on Sunday. He's got a house with a couple of friends ... this one is MUCH nicer (and cheaper!) than last year's. This evening we had a Rochester Half Marathon meeting at my house. Much to discuss, much was accomplished. We've got about 600 runners at this point. :-)

My other son is in Las Vegas with 7 friends. I'm sure they're having fun. I hope they're being "good Minnesota boys". :-)

So ... Brett Favre is going to wear purple and his home field will be the Metrodome. Stranger things have happened, I guess. But it'll give the sports writers and spin doctors lots to pontificate about, I guess.

I'm thinking about running the Victory 10K on Labor Day, Sept. 7. Have any of you run it before? If so, let me know. I'm curious and I'd like to try another 10K.

Photos will have to wait until tomorrow. Once again, it's 11 bells...

Good night.

No comments: