Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Perfect Day

Oh, it just doesn't get much better than this. About 75 degrees, a little wind, little humidity, sunshine. Sign me up for about 365 days of this. I spent as much time outside as I could today. And it started with ... speedwork.


Today was to be a run day. I don't really have a training plan. :-0 I just don't swim 2 days in a row, generally don't bike 2 days in a row, and don't run too often. (How specific is that??) My legs felt still felt a little tired when I left the house, as I'd run 9 yesterday. But I didn't just want to run junk miles today. So I decided to try running 1/4s after a 2 mile warm-up. Well, the warm-up got me to 2nd St SW and County 22/West Circle Drive. I ran my first quarter and that got me to the road leading up to Wimbledon Hills. So I thought why not just do the 1/4s on that nice flat stretch of bike path? So I set up my GPS to take splits every 1/4 mile and I'd try to run 10 x 1/4 mile with 1/4 mile recovery, if my legs held out. I wanted to run 6:30 pace which would be 1:37.5 for each 1/4. First one was 1:38. Perfect. Next one 1:34. Pretty close. Next one 1:31. Use those 6 seconds, Renee!! Next one 1:28. Hmmm ... Nice and steady, girl, no need to push this. Then it was 1:31. 1:31. 1:31. 1:31. I seem to have hit a physiological set-point here. Next one 1:33. Last one 1:28. I have to say it went great. And I actually had fun. I was sufficiently tired at the end of the last few, but certainly not trashed. I looked at my watch and it was 7:24 AM and I had 4.5 on my GPS. Still plenty of time for a nice cool down before work at 9:00. So I decided to run 5.5 more for a total of 10 (it was 10.05 miles when I got home). My hip is a non-issue. Hip, hip, hooray! I've been very diligent about doing my physical therapy exercises and will continue to do so.


Well ... when I went to look at my splits later I noticed that there were 2 runs today. That's right! I'd reset my GPS after the 2 mile warm-up. I must have still been hypoxic. So ... I got in 12.05 miles today. :-) Even better. I'm going to try to do some flavor of this on Tuesdays.

I'm really not much of a car buff, but there's this new, shiny black Porsche that I've been seeing in the mornings in the far SW side of town. Today it was heading north on county 22. Last week, it was heading into town from the Salem Corners area. Late model Carrera. Sweet.

After work today I stopped and got a lug of peaches. So I'll be canning peaches in the next day or two. Depends on when they're perfectly ripe. Salad today for lunch. I know. No surprise there. Apricots, a nectarine, some chicken, almonds, onions on some arugula that I wanted to use up before it turned to slime. :-)


Tomorrow night, a few friends are coming over for dessert and wine. Our friend Stacy who used to be a member of our cooking group moved away and is back in town for a visit. We look forward to seeing her. Pictures, for sure!!

The annual RTC Potluck Picnic is Thursday, August 20 at Soldier's Field Park at 6:00 PM. RSVP to president@rochestertrackclub.com if you can attend. It's always fun!! And delicious. I'll be there. For sure. This is the 40th anniversary for the RTC. Dwight Pierson, founder of the club, will be in attendance to give some history of the club.

A chance for your 15 seconds of fame: "I work for the company that is producing Mutual of Omaha’s official sponsor of the aha moment campaign – visit AhaMoment to see what an aha moment is and the great real stories we have collected so far. Associated to that, we have a 34-foot Airstream mobile film studio that is traveling the US on a 25-city tour to capture the country’s aha moments. We are headed to Rochester next Monday and Tuesday (August 10th & 11th), and would love to invite the members of the Rochester Track Club to share the story of what lead you to start running, and how your lives have changed since. You each would just have to step into the Airstream studio for a few minutes and tell your story on film, which would be posted to AhaMoment . We would love to have you if you are interested! We will be parked at the Rochester Recreation Center (21 Elton Hills Dr NW) Monday, August 10th (Noon to 8pm) and Tuesday, August 11th (10am to 8pm). Let me know as soon as possible and I can reserve some time for any of you that would like to participate, thanks! " Follow the tour on Twitter: @ahamomenttour Follow the tour on Facebook: Facebook My Aha Moment Megan Reed email

FYI: The Treadman Duathlon has been cancelled for September. :-(

Oh my, I just looked at the clock. It's almost 11:00 PM. The alarm will go off in 6 hours. And I didn't even get to my supper photos or recipes. Tomorrow!!

Quote for the day: "Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” -- Theodore Roosevelt

Good night!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let Ted know that Matt broke his wrist in a bike accident when a tree jumped out in front of him on the Douglas Trail. Maybe they can compare road rash.

~Leslie