Friday, August 28, 2009

Run, Swim, Run, Lift, Run, Bike!!

Yes, it's true. That's what I did today. Ran down to the Soldier's Field pool, where I found all 6 lanes were occupied by at least 2 people each. I talked to the coach for a bit and he said the water was 86 degrees. Yeow!! That's really warm. So, that being the case and not wanting to slow anyone down as they'd have to now swim loops, I decided to head to the Y instead. So I swam there for an hour. Then lifted. Then ran home + 1 mile. This afternoon I rode 37 miles on the bike. I swear, that bike feels like it's being held together by a wish and a prayer! Today, bottom bracket troubles, and a squeaky pedal, but I got the miles in and didn't have to call for a ride. :-) The bike computer bracket cracked when I put it in the car last weekend for the tri so that's held together by duct tape. And there are still occasional shifting issues. Kirby and I have made a date for bike shopping on Monday afternoon. I'm keeping this one!! I hadn't eaten lunch before I left, and I got home at 3:30. I was starving. So I had a concoction that I really like: yogurt (fat free vanilla bean), a sliced peach and a handful of Honey Bunches of Oats. Really hit the spot and was enough to tide me over to supper.


I spotted another snake on this bike ride. I don't know my snakes. And I don't like snakes. This one had a diamond pattern. Yuck. Double yuck.

Three state records were set at the Rochester Half Marathon last Saturday:
  • McKenzie Holt, age 13 from St. Cloud, with a 1;34:26
  • Michael Torchia, age 21 from Rochester, with a 1:08:24
  • Jared Mondry, age 67 from Minneapolis, with a 1:26:53

Way to go, runners!!

Here are the photos from the TriRochester social gathering yesterday evening at Glynner's Pub. We talked triathlon, of course!, mainly swimming. And Chris Koch mentioned that he and Rob Mitchell are heavy into training for the Superior Trail 100 mile race in September.





Here's a picture of my oldest son Eric and his friends in Vegas a couple of weeks ago. Eric is in the front kind of bending down, vest on. He's got a really nice group of friends.

Today they're in WI golfing. It's an annual outing. His friend Mark, second from the right in the photo, has a grandpa that owns the Kwik Trip franchise. He treats them all to a round of golf and a steak dinner at his house each summer. They always have a good time. And they've always had nice weather, as they did today.

Correction from yesterday's post: it was Tom Woo that waved, not John Dinusson. :-) Tom and his son Alex are running the Victory 10K on Labor Day in the Cities as well. We're going to car pool. :-)

The Midwest Tandem (bicycle) Rally is taking place in Rochester Sept. 4 thru 7 and they need volunteers. Click on this link to volunteer. Click on this link for more info.

The RTC is looking for a new membership chair. Duties include keeping a current membership roster, notifying members of membership renewals, mailing new member packets, keeping your friendly newsletter editor (me!) up-to-date on new member names, etc. If you're interested in this position, email president@rochestertrackclub.com

P.K. said she saw me on TV yesterday, Channel 6. Must have been this Mayo Clinic Medical Edge story being played again.

I got an email with a link to a recipe called Buckeye Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake from King Arthur Flour.

If you're a p-butter/chocolate fan, this one looks like it's to die for!! Here's a link to the blog with lots of photos. (This photo is from King Arthur Flour, a favorite site of mine. Great recipes, great tools, great ingredeints.)

I made the peanut butter chocolate chip cookies from yesterday's post this evening. They're very good. They will hit the spot after the 20-miler tomorrow morning.


We again have a surplus of green beans. I'll bring them to the morning run to give away. They were snapped up in a flash a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers!!

No comments: