Sunday, May 17, 2009

Syttende Mai

For those of you who are Norwegian, Happy Syttende Mai (Norwegian Independence Day). Should you have partaken in a lutefisk/lefse/meatballs dinner somewhere today, hope you enjoyed it. ;-)

Just returned from a Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer meeting at Laura's house. Items of note: It's Angie's birthday, so we had Mississippi Mud Cake. Yum.

There is a fundraising event at Caribou Coffee downtown on July 11. First and foremost, we hope for a great turnout as 20% of sales get donated to our cause. Also, we need volunteers to help out that day from 7 AM to 9 PM. If you can help out, please contact Kristin.

Med-City Marathon needs course marshals on 5/24. If you can help, contact the Y at 287-2260.

I noticed this video on MayoClinic.org yesterday. It's about running a marathon, electrolytes and hydration.

Matt and I made Oatmeal Raisin cookies last night.

They turned out fine. They're one of Matt's favorites.

I've got 4 Bleeding Hearts that self-seeded into unwanted locations that I'd like to give away. They like shade. If you'd like one, let me know.

My peas are up. :-)

I ran the Chester Woods course today with 5 other runners. It was an absolutely beautiful day to be out in the woods. Or anywhere. Upper 60's, sunny, little wind. What a welcome change from yesterday.

I decided to do it as I recovered well from yesterday's run. No pain. No lingering aches. The course is 10 miles. Jim said we were going to run slow. With the first mile at 8 minute pace, it didn't feel slow! Especially since we were off-road. At about 6 miles I was really feeling the hip (and I'd been on the Stairmaster for an hour this morning, which might have had something to do with it). So I opted out of the southernmost loop which would cut out about a mile and a half or so and told them I'd see them when they caught up to me. So I ran back to the finish at the bridge by the fishing pier and made my way back on the trail. I ran into Paola Sandroni.

She was out enjoying the beautiful day as well and we talked for a while. Well, by the time I met up with (most of) the guys again, I'd backtracked almost a mile and by the time I finished had 10.39 on my GPS. So much for cutting miles off the course! So far so good, but I won't be running tomorrow.


Dinner tonight was corn chowder ...


green beans and a salad.

I've been in a soup mood of late. That's it for today's news. And foodie photos. :-)

Quote for the day: "The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up." --Mark Twain

Until next time.

1 comment:

Views from a director said...

What a beautiful day,on a beautiful trail with good friends. I was trying to slow the horses down but, they kept the pace up :-)