Friday, May 15, 2009

It's Slug-O!!

I didn't have to work today, but still was awake before 5:00 AM. Just laid in bed like a slug until 6:00 AM. Just didn't have the motivation to get up. When I finally did become vertical, got online for a bit and FINALLY made it down to the Y sometime after 7:00. Lifted, which went fine, though I hadn't done it in a week apparently according to my log. Shame on me! Then did a half hour on the Arc Trainer. That went fine. By the time I got down to the pool it was almost 8:30. So I only got in 40 minutes (did not count laps) before they took out all but 2 lanes for water aerobics. I was left without a lane and the 2 others swimming in the lanes didn't look like lane-sharing prospects. But I guess that was just as well as my feet had started cramping. Just didn't feel like a good workout today. Matt and I were going to go for a bike ride when he finished work but the weather was turning "yucky" so we bagged it until tomorrow. I decided to do some yard work instead. A few views from the back yard ...


Just arrived home from volunteering at the Stay Out of the Sun Run 10K water stop. Kind of a miserable evening for volunteering ... cool and slight rain, but a good night for a run. Brett Carroll won the 10K.

I'll post photos tomorrow. I've not read the newspaper in 10 days ...

I've decided to run the 10-miler at the RAC in the morning. I hope it goes well. If not, I guess I just walk back! I'll bring cookies, of course. I believe I have some in the freezer. It's the last marathon training run of the spring season. After Med-City the Off-Season Striders will resume until the fall marathon training class starts, at which time the Saturday runs will be back at the RAC. I believe that will be July 11.

Our age group awards for the Get in Gear 10K arrived in the mail the other day. They're technical shirts. Age group winners also get a free entry for the 2010 race (I was third in my age group). We didn't get a choice on sizes and this one is unfortunately quite big. Oh well.

GU has a new product ... GU Chomps. "Chew your GU" is how they describe it.

I finally had a chance to try Judy's grain mill attachment for my stand mixer. I bought some wheat berries at Good Food Store ...

ran them through the mill 4 times from coarse to fine settings (to avoid any mixer burnout) ...

and ended up with very nice freshly ground whole wheat flour.

I'll have to make some bread sometime soon. These are the muffins we had Monday at our Cooking Light get together. They were delicious.


Whole Wheat Muffins
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup milk
1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chopped pecans

1. In a large bowl with a mixer, beat butter and sugar until very well mixed and no lumps remain. Add milk, yogurt, egg, and vanilla; beat just until blended. Add flour, soda, and pecans; stir until mixture is evenly moistened.

2. Spoon batter equally into 12 buttered or paper-lined muffin cups (2 1/2 to 2 3/4 in. wide).

3. Bake in a 425° regular or convection oven until muffins just begin to pull from pan sides and spring back in the center when lightly pressed, about 15 minutes.

4. Cool muffins in pan about 5 minutes, then invert onto a rack and turn rounded side up. Serve hot, warm, or cool. If making up to 1 day ahead, wrap cool muffins airtight and store at room temperature; freeze to store longer. To reheat, seal in foil and bake in a 350° regular or convection oven about 10 minutes.

Quote for the day: "Live long and prosper". --Mr. Spock, Vulcan salute

Toodles.

No comments: