Saturday, May 9, 2009

Marathon Melancholy

BIG sigh ... As I posted yesterday, I didn't run the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon this morning. The decision was difficult, yet at the same time wasn't difficult to make. It wasn't difficult in that I didn't think I'd be doing my body any favors by trying to run 26.2 miles while feeling injured. It would most likely just make it worse. I don't want my running season to come to a screeching halt in early May. Yet it was difficult in that I so much wanted to be a runner today. I went up to St. Cloud anyway (I'd made a couple hundred cookies for race director Sharon Hobbs to give to her voluteers, and wanted to cheer on my St. Cloud area friends!) and became a race volunteer, which was admittedly fun as I rode along with Sharon and handed out my cookies to the volunteers on the course and was able to see the final outcome of the race unfold, which was exciting. And it was a great day for marathoning, especially on that course. It was cold for the volunteers with temps in the 40's, cloud cover and a NW wind, but the wind was predominatly at the runners' backs the whole time. I feel like such a slug not getting any exercise whatsoever for two days. So I'm hoping that taking a break from racing for a few weeks will help my body heal so I can get back out there. Oh well, even though I didn't come home with a marathon finisher's medal and shirt, I had a great time. ;-)

Spotted at the LWTM marathon was Rochester's (and RTC's) own Greg Couser. He ran a very respectable 3:34 I believe. It was fun to see him and chat for a couple of minutes.

Also spotted was Rochester resident Frank Bartocci who was running marathon number 288. He's on round 4 (yes ... four!!) of the 50 states. He's running a marathon tomorrow in IA, then two next weekend, then one the next weekend, and the next, and the next ... I can't even fathom this schedule ... or travel budget!!


OK. Back to Thursday. TCM 1-Mile. Fun race. Getting downtown Mpls. and parking just as people were leaving work, and trying to get around the downtown construction was a bit hairy so I'm glad I left as early as I did! But it was a beautiful evening for a fast mile. 70's. Sunny. Fast course (north to south on the Nicollet mall). This was a part of the USATF circuit (my reason for running) ...

(Back: Melissa, me Middle: Linda, Denise, Anita, Lisa Front: Wanda, Jacki) as well as a Minnesota and US championship race. I ran comfortably hard, not all out and ended up running a 6:29. I am satisfied with that. The US men's race sounded pretty amazing. David Torrence from CA ran the first outdoor sub-4:00 mile (3:59.30) in Minnesota for a $10,000 time bonus. Video coverage of the men's and women's races here. RTC runners spotted at the one mile...

Sandra Dalquist and Rosemary Harnly. ;-)

I don't know what the deal-e-o was with these guys, but I wouldn't want to run an all-out mile with these suits on. They totally covered their faces.

Fargo Marathon: A huge CONGRATULATIONS to Pete Gilman for winning the Fargo marathon in 2:24. Hip, hip hooray! I spoke at length with Ron Giles this evening and from all accounts, it was pretty cool. From what I saw, Rochester runners ran very well in ND today. :-)

Well, I was up at 3:40 AM. It's now 9:29. Time to put this post to bed. More generic stuff tomorrow.

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms and moms-to-be. Enjoy your day. May you be treated extra special by those you love and those who love you. ;-)


Good night.

No comments: