Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day 2009

Happy Memorial Day! What a beautiful weekend. We haven't had 3 nice weather days on Memorial Day weekend in recent memory. Hope you were all able to enjoy it.

More Med-City Marathon stuff: Here's a link to a Post-Bulletin story and video, including runner Eric Woodford singing the Star Spangled Banner. Henry Biar, who was profiled in the Post-Bulletin on Saturday, ran a 26-minute PR yesterday. :-) Lionel reported via a comment on yesterday's post that Dan Strain was in fact at the start line with his Rubik's Cube in hand. Still haven't heard back from Dan as to whether he solved it 26 times en route from Byron to the finish line. ;-) Tom Woo took 800+ photos.



2009 Med City Marathon

My whole family was here today. That just doesn't happen much any more. We're living far apart (MN, IL, FL) and all so busy. But it was great to be together to celebrate a graduation and a birthday. Pictured below, Matt, my sister Alison and her sons Scott and Tom and her husband Craig. We enjoyed being able to be outside as well.

Foodie Stuff: For breakfast today, a delicious new egg bake recipe from Panera.

Kitchen Sink Brunch Casserole I used the whole grain baguette and fat-free half and half. I also put the green onions in the bake instead of putting them on top raw after baking. Also used a little more spinach than called for. Very good recipe. A keeper for sure. The rest of the menu included fresh fruit ...

and "french toast" scones.

Noon meal: With four "growing teen-aged" boys (9th grade through college grad), I was sure hoping I had enough food. I did, but barely. Virtually EVERYTHING got eaten.


Calico beans, potato salad, Harvest Apple/Pear/Cheddar Salad with pecans, Pulled Pork with Strawberry BBQ sauce, fruit salad.

The cherry pie Eric requested. Yum-O.


And Dora the Explorer birthday cake. :-)


I feel full again just looking at all this food. To burn some more calories, Matt and I are going to start playing a little tennis. There's a court over at Younge park, just a half mile walk from home. I think it'll be fun.

For the quote for the day, I've chosen one for Memorial Day, some of the lyrics from a Lee Greenwood song, God Bless the U.S.A.: "And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me."


God Bless the U.S.A.

No comments: