Saturday, November 29, 2008

It Feels So Good to Sit Down!

Hallelujah. The storm door is now installed in its final resting place--the front of my house--and I couldn't be happier. The biggest frustration with this project was unpackaging the handle hardware from the molded plastic packaging. At one point, I threw off my coat and was ready to do battle big time with the darn thing ... anything to get it open. I consider myself pretty able-bodied, but this was just too much. I was about ready to fire up the table saw and have at it! The paint color on the new storm door has more blue in it than the one on the paneled door, but it's going to have to be good enough until spring. Anyway, after running this morning and working on this all afternoon, it feels wonderful to be sitting down and blogging. ;-)

News flash: There is 15% off shoes, clothing, accessories at Running Room through tomorrow (Sunday) and this also applies to clearance items. There are lots of bargains to be had.

There are now six of us that are going to be wearing the pink wigs at the Polar Plunge: Laura Lenz, Chris Kujath, Paula Patterson, myself, Todd Rowekamp and Mike Schmitt. Yup, that's right. Two guys are going to be donning these hot pink beauties, and who knows what else, for all the world to see. A hoot to be sure.

USA Master's Indoor Track & Field Championships:
Imagine running your best time ever for 3000 meters, one mile, 800 meters, 400 meters, 200 meters, or 60 meters, while watching athletes of all ages and abilities throwing the shotput and weight/superweight, running the 60m hurdles, pole-vaulting, long-jumping, triple-jumping, and high-jumping (include local world-record-holder Bruce McBarnette). That's what you can do at the USA Masters Indoor Track & Field Championships, Friday-Sunday, March 20-22, 2009, at Prince George's Sportplex in Landover MD. The events are open to all athletes of all levels of ability 30 & over. Registration is now open at Potomac Valley Track Club site , and you save $15 if you register before November 30.

Well, my latest poll is about to close. I'm glad the humble little sweet potato, or other side, got at least one vote. ;-) They're actually quite good if they're not overwhelmed by marshmallows.

So, now back to the Saxman Thanksgiving extravaganza. Tuesday afternoon, my dad and stepmom Ada arrived. They've been making their way around the midwest visiting the kids. It was wonderful to have them here. They don't usually venture out of the relative warmth of Florida at this time of year. Matt also arrived home from school that evening. My dad gave me an early Christmas present on Tuesday. He'd written down the story of his life, and made DVDs of photos, for us kids. It was the most wonderful gift I could have received. There is a lot of my dad's life that I knew nothing about. I think that some of the story was hard for him to write, but it meant an awful lot to me that he did. They're also going through the photos and giving us the ones that are of each of us. Here's me at age 4 1/2.

I was so inspired that I've now started doing the same for my kids. I started yesterday evening, and the memories are just pouring in. It's great fun but it's going to be time-consuming.

Wednesday, we went down to Festival of Trees at the Civic Center and had a wonderful time. The trees were beautiful.



They were also serving a free lunch, so we had chicken & wild rice soup from Canadian Honker, which was absolutely delicious, Great Harvest bread and fruit parfaits. It was a great way to spend an hour or two and got all of us in the Christmas spirit.

When I got home, I decided it would be fun for Ada and I to try the marshmallow recipe I'd found a couple of weeks back. It was an interesting process ... combining a hot brownish syrup and bloomed gelatin, then beating it for 17 minutes during which turned it pure white and thick. They turned out great. And they taste just like ... marshmallows! Go figure ...




My brother and family came for dinner on Wednesday, so there were 10 of us. After dinner, Matt and I taught Ada to play Yahtzee. She beat the pants off us. Of course, we were giving her pointers.

Thursday I got up early and made the side dishes, put the turkey in the oven, then ran a very pleasant 7.25 miles before heading off to church where Matt was playing the trumpet. Dinner was the standard Thanksgiving fare: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes (no marshmallows ... apples, maple syrup and pecans and a little cinnamon), a strawberry salad and Great Harvest rolls. And lefse ! Can't forget the lefse! After my brother's family went home, we decorated the house for Christmas. It was wonderful to have help. We were done in just a couple of hours.





(If these slideshows aren't displaying properly, just click on the 'view all images' button.) I finished my first little Christmas (gift) project yesterday afternoon. A little quilted wall hanging. Still have much work to do.

Well ... that's it on the home front.

Thought for the day: "Be cheerful! Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important."

Toodles. :-)

No comments: