Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Seen (Scene?) & Heard

I have lots that I want to post today, but on two completely unrelated subjects. I will start with what's running-related, mostly. The rest will have to wait until either this evening or tomorrow morning as I know it's going to be lengthy. I have the day off tomorrow and the regulars are running at 5:15 AM, which means a 4:45 alarm for me. As much as I am a morning person, I'm really tired today and there will be temptation to stay in bed until at least 5:30 AM, I just know it ...

I went to lunch with a couple girlfriends today. My friend Jeanne is an amazing decorator of cakes. This was this year's version. She didn't know it, but guess what color my iPod is? Green!
She even included Hershey's Kiss earbuds. ;-)


I've had my camera at the Y hoping to get a photo of a couple people, but they haven't been there yet this week. So I decided to have some fun with my running friends. As I'm on my favorite Stairmaster, #5, I asked Mark Wernstrom (upper left) if he wanted to be in my blog. "Sure," he said. So I said, "Say something profound." "Nice skirt." Well, I guess maybe that was the most profound thing I'd heard by 6:15 AM. Blogged he is. (I've run probably thousands of miles with Mark. Good guy. Even though he is Swedish, and a St. Olaf grad. Go Norse! :-) Then Ellen Hamernik walks up. "You're way to matchy-matchy for this early morning." (My shoes are pink and white.) Blogged she is. After taking a short break to get a kleenex, I walk by Mike Holmes. He said he's doing the "full Renee Saxman" workout today (multiple machines including the Stairmaster). Blogged he is. There 'ya go.

Also seen at the Y, Iron(wo)man to be, Wendy Nevala who makes her Ironman Triathlon debut in Arizona this weekend. She's both nervous and excited, and you can't blame her for that. The whole family is going down to cheer her on and they're making a vacation out of it. What an accomplishment that will be.


From Mike Schmitt: The proposed Stillwater marathon is going to be presented to the city council this evening. It's in direct conflict with the Med-City marathon, which is unfortunate. It sounds like the course will be quite hilly.

Also from Mike, Ryan Hall will run Boston 2009. "To win in Boston would show the world that American distance running is indeed back to the days of Salazar, Beardsley, and Rodgers. I hope that I can contribute to bringing American marathoning back to the forefront. There is no better place to do that than Boston. What is done in Boston lives on for all time." --Ryan Hall

From Chris O'Brien: Research on marathon runners using both pre- and post-race data.

Heard this on the radio and had to find a link: NASA to Turn Astronauts' Urine, Sweat Into Space-Station Water. As in drinking water.

Indoor running at UCR: The Field house is open every morning from 6 - 8 a.m. and evenings 5 - 10 p.m. Monday through Friday for your walking/jogging pleasure. Weekends are on a hit and miss system depending on what is scheduled in the field house (see Sports Center Schedule). The city has priority use and there is no charge for jogging/walking.

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see." --John Burroughs

Until next time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

renee, i think you mean ryan hall, not ryan shay

Ramblin' Renee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ramblin' Renee said...

Hi, Noah. You're so right. I fixed it. Thank you for pointing it out.