Sunday, November 23, 2008

An off day

Today was an off day for me. No running. No exercise. After yesterday's long run, didn't want to tempt fate lest the running gods decide to bestow some sort of injury on me. I've had quite enough of that, thank you very much.

Today in church, I sat in front of another gal who was diagnosed with breast cancer last week. Her husband mentioned it at the Y. Whew. Another name to put on my bib for Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer Half Marathon on February 15. I have 5 friends and one relative, who's only 9 years old, with cancer right now. I guess all of our days are numbered ... we just don't know what the number is.

The Gravy Train 12 is Saturday, November 29. (BTW: You don't have to run all 12 miles. It's just a fun run and an excuse to not be out shopping. Run as short or long as you like.) We'd like to ask that you bring non-perishable food items for Channel 1 food shelf. Running Room will be open at 7:15 AM. Thanks in advance.

It's been requested that I again provide cookies for the male and female winners of the Cabin Fever Stair Climb on February 14. I am very happy to oblige. There are possibly some much larger prizes in store (as in room and board, of sorts). Stay tuned.

There was a very nice article in the weekend Post-Bulletin about RTC member Michael Torchia. He's injury free and running very well (usually number 3 for the Gophers). Such a nice kid (or I guess I should say young man), as is the whole family. I talked to him at Douglas Trail this year. In addition to majors in biochemistry and history, I think he mentioned he was going to get a minor in Italian.


(Mike running for Lourdes at the All-City meet in 2003, Mike at Douglas Trail 2008, Tish and the kids at Douglas Trail 2008, Mike running track for the Gophers. BTW: If you mouseover on a photo in this blog and a URL appears at the bottom of the screen, you can click on it and get a larger version. I'm not sure why it's not true for all photos as I upload them all the same way.)

I'd emailed Mike earlier this year asking him to answer my "baker's dozen" questions, which he did in his typically humorous fashion. I'll reprint them here:

Family? I would say more of a tribe - Dad, Mom, Katy, Kelsey, Sarah, and Ian.
Hobbies? Epic games of monopoly, making stupid bets with roommates, and attempting to cook meals well beyond my ability level.
Languages you speak? English, broken Italian, swear words in Portuguese (complements of my mother)
How did you get started in running? The same way everyone else got involved- running away from girls in grade school.
Miles per week on average? 80
Your defacto, comfortable as a broken-in shoe training route? Its a toss-up: River Road to Lake Street or Ranger (Boom Island Park to Stone Arch Bridge)
How often do you run it? Around 4 times per week.
Favorite carbo loading food? Cake
Favorite indulgence food? Cake
Next race? 5000 meters at Arizona State
Running goals? School record in the 5000 meters (13:44) and 10,000 meters (28:24), All-American in cross country and track
Running dream? London, 2012, marathon.

I'd like to get these going again. I'll work on that. I'll probably mix up the questions a bit. If I email you asking for your replies, please consider it!

This Polar Plunge thing is starting to take on a life of it's own. Kevin Torgerson, Super Plunger and co-organizer with K.C. Reed for the Polar Plunge, said after I told him I'd registered: "We'll be sure to put you in the "Celebrity" Plunger zone!" (I do believe that's a joke.) John Dinusson said: "Cannonball!" Bruce Petz: "I will double the pledge - if you roll in the snow (2 times around), right after you get out of the water." Oh my oh my oh my ... I can hear it now, "Who is that whackadoodle nut case out there?" LOL. The visuals crack me up. I am glad that my friends have a sense of humor, though.

I finally stopped in to redeem my coupon for a free ice cream creation from Cold Stone Creamery. It expired today. You can register online for a e-coupon to be sent to you on your birthday. I put it in the freezer for Matt. ;-) He'll be home on Tuesday evening. Can't wait to have him home. He's looking forward to home cooking he says. He's living in a house with two other guys. I think there are only so many ways to prepare ramen noodles and canned chili. :-) This will be the first Thanksgiving without Eric, which will certainly be different. It will be his first year without a Thanksgiving celebration as well. I'm cooking. My dad and step-mom will be here from Florida and my brother and his family, and my dad's cousin, will be here for dinner so there will be 10 of us. I have a big 20-pound turkey thawing in the fridge.

I've got more on my 'to be blogged' list, but I think I'll break here for today. That'll bring y'all back tomorrow. ;-)

Thought for the day: "If you have accomlished all that you planned for you life, you have not planned enough!"

Later.

No comments: