Saturday, November 22, 2008

Whoa ... some things just can't be explained

I swear I could have run a marathon today. And it just makes no sense.

I'd intended to run with the Off-Season Striders (20+ showed up again today--great!) at 7:30 and take the long route, and round it up to 10 miles. Or so. Maybe a bit more. Well, I did that ... and then some. The early miles with the group were OK. The strong south wind was starting to get to me around the lake after we'd been running south for several miles. But after I got back to Dunn Bros again and started back out out on my own, I just kept feeling better and better. And that's what makes no sense. I hadn't eaten anything since supper last night. I drank probably a total of 20 oz. of fluids during the whole run. The big hill at mile 18 didn't phase me. So I just kept running. Why? I'm not sure. Just because I could, I guess. Because it was there. Because I missed my long runs and the tired feeling in my legs afterward. Because I felt great. Because I felt like I could run all day.

I quit at 20.61 miles. I love the running life.

Thank you to: Jennifer Meyer, Tom and Shane O'Leary, Mike Schmitt, Judy Weller, Lin Gentling, Larry Pederson, John Shonyo and Chris Kujath for helping to assemble the newsletter today. We put together 340 newsletters in 25 minutes. You guys are hired!


From the Rochester Active Sports Club (RASC):

I'm delighted to announce that RASC now has a new hiking / trekking group. This will be lead by Kelly Classic and Norm Meeks. They are interested in leading hiking, backpacking, trekking and whatever trips. Local or long distance. They will be putting trips on the web site for all who are interested to join in the fun (http://rasc.multisportsystems.com/page/show/7547-other-sports). Local trips will generally be "Okay, Kelly and/or Norm are going to a local day hike to, say Forestville State Park on December 6th. They are going to leave from the parking lot at Crossroads Center at 9AM. If you want to join them, show up and be ready to go".

Longer trips such as this pipe dream of Norm's to do Gannett Peak in Wyoming next summer will be a bit more organized and formal. Reservations, carpooling, etc. will need to be done well before hand for some trips. Some trips will require good conditioning. Numbers will generally be limited to first come first served! So come on out and join them! First trip will be to Forestville State Park on the 6th of December leaving from Crossroads Shopping Center at 9 AM.

Any questions email Kelly Classic (classicbydesign@gmail.com) or Norm Meeks (norm_meeks@yahoo.com). Hope to see you out there!

Rather than auction off the cookies of the month this year, I just sold them to the highest bidders from last year at last year ... and the year before that ... and the year before that ... (The 8 dozen Christmas cookies are still up for auction beginning December 1.) The winning bid last year was $221. These guys outbid everyone else every year for 5 years, so it just seemed easier for everyone to just re-up them again for another year. Proceeds go to Fetzer 20K prize money. (It's an Equalizer race ... women start 12 minutes and the first one to the finish is the winner. This year I'm splitting the money into masters and open categories.) Thank you to: Group 1--Jim Benike, Jim Martinson, Mark Wernstrom, Jean Murray, K.C. Reed, Don Gabrielson and Ross Hamernik. Group 2--Shaun Palmer. Yes, Shaun gets the whole batch. Every month. But he gets an A+ on his report card for sharing. He goes all around the Y giving away cookies on cookie delivery day. Everyone loves him. On cookie day, anyway. :-) (No, really, super-smiley Shaun is a great guy every day.)

The Triple Event Challenge is a go for WinterFest. And I'm in. Today I registered for the Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer half marathon . I'm the first one to register. I asked John Shonyo if he was therefore going to give me bib # 1. He said he'll see what he can do. (A couple of times Peg Arnold gave me number 1 for Med-City or the Rochester Half -- people would like at me like who are you?!) Then I registered for the Polar Plunge. This is the event that has me the most nervous, even though it'll be over in a matter of seconds ... jumping into 32 degree water, running out and right into a hot tub ... I just don't know about this. But now I'm committed (or maybe I should be!). Laura Lenz said she'd plunge with me. I just might make her hold my hand ... If you would like to support Special Olympics Minnesota by sponsoring me, that would be wonderful. Here's the link. Last year they had 436 plungers. This year, they hope for 500+. We're Freezin' for a Reason!

Thank you to those of you who send, or tell me in person, feedback on my blog. I really appreciate it. Makes this all worthwhile. I especially like this one. "I read your blog religiously." Thank you so very much for reading.

I almost never run with my iPod. For some reason, today I threw it in the trunk and put it on when I headed out on my own. One thing I listened to was Nickelback (my musical tastes are quite eclectic). The lyrics to this song are pretty powerful, speaking of the need to make this planet a better place for all inhabitants. They will be my "thought for the day". The photo below is from a runner friend who has traveled to Uganda and seen firsthand the needs of those much less fortunate.

And as we lie beneath the stars
We realize how small we are
If they could love like you and me
Imagine what the world could be

If everyone cared and nobody cried
If everyone loved and nobody lied
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride
Then we'd see the day when nobody died
When nobody died...

Singing Amen, I, I'm alive
Singing Amen, I, I'm alive ...
---If Everyone Cared, by Nickelback

Complete lyrics Play video

I've rambled quite enough for today. Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am definitely plunging with you, Renee. I plan to wear pink to advertise the Lace Up Against Breast Cancer Run the next day. I believe Chris Kujath is in, too. Others are welcome to join!!

Ramblin' Renee said...

Pink it is!