Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Windy, or what??

To be sure!! I'm going to run a couple of miles in the morning I think. Hope these gale force winds subside a bit. I sent out a Fetzer 20K online survey. So far, respondents: had a positive experience at the race (despite the weather, though they're hoping for better next year), liked the equalizer, prefer the prize money to be split up, prefer long-sleeved Ts to short-sleeved technical shirts, and would consider running it in the future. 2 or 3 commented that they didn't like the out-and-back, out-and-back nature of the course. Since I'm going to probably reverse the first mile, which requires recertification, I might take the first loop out on Salem Road and keep the second out-and-back, but will probably have to move the turnaround further towards downtown. I also might eliminate the footbridge. It's hard for the lead bikers to navigate, especially when wet. Anyway, I thought about running part of the possible redesign of the first part of the course in the morning to see what the mileage is. If anyone has feedback about this design, certainly pass it along. I hate to keep changing courses, but want to try to please the masses, which is hard, and keep it safe.


Still hope to create a Fetzer photo slideshow to post here. Just need more time. Pam King gave me lots of great photos last night at Cooking Light. Most are of the 2-mile. There are some really great shots. She's a whiz with a lens. Speaking of Cooking Light, it would be difficult to choose a favorite last night. Everything was really, really good. We were at Barb Giles' house. I forgot to take photos. Can you believe it? Next month, my house.

One more Fetzer comment ... someone mentioned running out of food (there was LOTS of food, actually, and some of everything left over). But what was mentioned was the homemade cookies and people commenting on being disappointed that they'd missed them. I had made cookies for my volunteers and after the race, put what was left over on the food table. So I actually didn't make enough for more than just the volunteers, but a few, a very few, runners did get one. I'd considered making cookies for everyone, but don't know that I'd have enough time. I'll have to talk to Jean Murray and see how she gets all those monster cookies baked for the Spring Classic. They're homemade, they're loaded, and they're delicious!

Speaking of upcoming races ... Spring Classic 5K and 15K are just around the corner on May 3. Beautiful run through the Mayowood Trail on the 15K when the bluebells (photo on title bar of my blog currently) are in bloom. They are unbelievable. Technical shirts this year. Jean's famous monster cookies. Both are part of the Grand Prix, either regular Grand Prix or the Youth Grand Prix.


I thought I'd show you what 'the shed' looks like. We rent two storage units in SW Rochester to keep our supplies in. This is a view of about half of it. We've been looking for someone to be in charge of check-out, check-in of the equipment. If anyone out there is so inclined to volunteer for this job, we'd be much obliged. Jeff Rabatin used to be our 'shedmeister' and since then, the board has split the duties by month.

From Pete Martin: I have had a room at the Comfort Inn Canal Park in Duluth for several years now, but this June, for the first time in eight years, I will not be able to travel up to Duluth that weekend in June, to run Grandma's. So the room is for sale. It's right there at the Finish Line and everything else in Canal Park for that weekend. It's booked for Friday & Saturday night, it's a suite with a king bed and sleeper sofa, with whirlpool, overlooking Lake Superior. Close to buses on Race Day, and only minutes away from the Expo at the D.E.C.C., by foot. If this is of interest, please contact Pete Martin. First come, first served! (I've stayed there before for the Northshore Inline. It's very nice.)

Very nice Fetzer photos in the Post-Bulletin on Monday. Thank you, Paul Christian!

We have another RTC blogger ... Jim Mason with his Chester Woods Trail Run blog. He's doing a nice job. I look forward to running that race this year.


Last night at a TreadMan Duathlon meeting I gave Henry Walker his second place Fetzer medal. So ... let's get to know Henry, another all around very nice, and very athletically gifted, individual:

Family? Wife and two boys ages 3 and 5

Hobbies? Wood working, hunting, archery, nordic skiing, reading, outdoors (camping etc.)

Languages you speak? English, and sometimes I translate 3 year old pretty well but I’m not fluent.

How did you get started in running?A jolly art teacher who was over weight but wasn’t pushy convinced me I should come out and have fun in track and I’ve never looked back since. Before finishing school I held several high school records in various events. Track had a profound influence in my life and running became an escape from living in a challenging childhood environment.

Miles per week on average?Varies a lot – once a week runs during the Nordic ski season of 4 – 5 miles. During the crummy weather days I get in three or four runs a week – usually at least 3-5 miles distance but intensity varies a lot. One day I’ll maybe run a total of 30 minutes doing 4 repeats of Viola Hill. Other days I pole hike/run two hours really easy. I try to mix it up a lot and I get very little time in but do my best to be efficient and have a plan.

Your defacto, comfortable a broken-in shoes? Asics Kayano series

How often do you run in them? Always, I once threw on a new pair before Twin Cities Marathon – no problem.

Favorite carbo loading food? No carbo-loading for me, it can be really tricky and needs to be done right for it to actually work. At my level of racing I feel its not worth trying tactics out side of keeping a normal diet.

Favorite indulgence food? Excess of all foods – but a couple pints of Ben and Jerry’s doesn’t hurt a thing.

Next race? Hopefully the Fetzer for the fist time – depends on a number of factors. It would help to get a run in over 5 miles all at once before then. Not that I don’t enjoy running but it takes time to adapt from skate skiing all winter without causing injury.

Running goals? Keep my girlish figure. But of more importance, maintain strength, keep aerobic capacity and use it as a cross training activity. Running is an excellent support mechanism to skiing or other sports.

Running dream? To be running in my 80’s.

Thought for the day: "Year may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." --Douglas MacArthur

Sweet dreams.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

????Volunteers got cookies???? Hmmm, nobody told us about any cookies!!!