Friday, April 11, 2008

The Finish Line

The Show must go on!
Yeah!The Show must go on!
I'll face it with a grin!
I'm never giving in!
On with the show!
--Queen, The Show Must Go On

Well, for me as a race director, this is the finish line. On with the show! All the preparations are done: my innumerable lists are printed, volunteers are lined up, supplies from my house are ready to be loaded on the truck (my house feels so empty!),



... and I haven't even been to the shed yet for the equipment. It takes a lot of 'stuff' to put on a race, to be sure. I have to pick up the rolls from Great Harvest, then it's down to Running Room for registration/packet pick-up from 5-8 this evening. I just heard on KROC AM--'chance of light snow tonight. Chance of light snow tomorrow.' This is sounding better and better. SOOOOO glad I don't live in Duluth or Alec (Alexandria). They're getting pounded with a blizzard. So far here, just rain.

... and the cookies are baked, awaiting their rightful owners!



We are at 202 registrations. Allison Benike was lucky #200 to register. ;-)

I have a 'Hero for the Day'. Jean Murray. Jean is herself getting ready for Spring Classic as co-race director. She is working on RTC advertising for 'rochester' magazine. She just called to say she'd picked up the room key for our timer. She's putting out cones in the morning before she comes over to the school. She's volunteered before the race. Thank you so much, Jean.

Nice article on Jen Bradt Jen Bradt in the Post Bulletin last night. She's really a nice gal and runs the long runs with us sometimes on the weekend.

Jennifer Koski, Post-Bulletin columnist, invited me to a Belly Dancing fundraiser. How fun would that be? It would mean, however, baring my midrif to other women. However, it's during the time I'll be at the RRCA convention in Cincinnati. Bummer. Would have been fun.

I went to the doctor yesterday for my knee. He did all kinds of bending and what not to my leg to determine the extent of the injury, as well as took an Xray. No ligament or bone damage. Just soft tissue as far as he can tell (pre-patellar (sp?) bursa injury). I should be able to run Boston. However, there is still some swelling at the top of the kneecap which makes bending it painful. I'll just see how it goes after Fetzer is done and make the final determination next week. But all in all, good news. Could have been much worse.

Let's meet Paul Thomford:


Family?...... wife Deb, 3 boys : Marcus, Matt and Ryan

Hobbies?......... running, traveling, landscaping and tree planting.

Languages you speak......... just English

How did you get started in running....... trying to lose weight

Miles per week on average?............ 50

Your defacto, comfortable as a broken-in shoe training route Douglas Trail

How often do you run it?.......... on cool fall Sunday mornings

Favorite carbo loading food? Pizza

Favorite indulgence food? Ice Cream

Next race? 20K of course, then the Brookings Marathon.

Running goals? stay healthy and keep marathoning

Running dream?............ finish a 30 Mile training run with Tom O'Leary

Time to get the truck! See you at the Fetzer!

1 comment:

Let's Cure Type 1 !! said...

Now that's a great running dream Paul! haha... Tom O