Thursday, April 17, 2008

It's Getting Close ...

Well, pretty soon the rubber will meet the road. Maybe. I went out for a couple of miles yesterday and it didn't feel so great. Just nothing in my legs. The last few days my IT band (?) has been sore at the place it inserts at the knee. Or maybe something else in that location. It's sore to the touch even. I just don't know if this marathon is meant to be. I'm leaving in the early morning tomorrow. Now I just have to decide if I'd have a better time watching the elites and my friends run and spending the time with my dad and step-mom or if I should give it a try myself not knowing how my body will handle this. I just don't know. I just know that I don't want to give up a season, or risk further injury, for a marathon I'm just not hyped up to run. I'll have to decide by Sunday. If I don't run, I'll turn in my chip and number and still have eligibility next year. But I can't see signing up for this thing again. It's my nemesis. But in a way, they all are. ;-0

Here's a link to Hiromi Walleser's website. Posted are 260 Fetzer photos! Thank you Hiromi for being out there on a blustery, nasty day.

TCM registration opens at 12:01 am on Friday.

BTW ... according to the Winona Daily News the Fetzer female winner, Rachel Rich, qualified for and will run the Olympic marathon trials and qualifed to run as an elite runner ('A' standard).

The newsletter is at the printer. Hopefully, it will be printed while I'm gone but I haven't gotten a proof yet. In any case, if you've gotten a membership renewal letter or two, and/or an email reminder, and you intend to renew please send it in. We're spending lots of time, postage and paper on this effort. We've kept some of you on the newsletter mailing list but aren't going to do this forever. It's not fair to the paying members. Thank you for your attention to this.

Running Room 20-Minute Challenge will take place on July 16 at 6:00 pm. It's free and you get a hat! All you have to do is walk or run for 20 minutes. Last year, I walked. I was probably injured (again!). Sign up before all the hats are spoken for!

Also, Running Room is putting on a new Tri Clinic, led by RTC member Chris Koch. It starts April 22. More information at the store or by email. Instructors are also needed for upcoming clinics. Talk to Paula if you're interested!

Beer Run coming up on Thursday, April 24 at 5:30 pm at O'Neil's Pizza Pub. It's not really about the run for this one. It's social and all are welcome!

From RTC member Reggie Oeltjen: My 5 year old great niece has undergone a stem cell implant procedure for a very rare disease related to MD. The implant did not take and they will have to try again. The procedure is similar to a bone marrow transplant. Her relatives are having a 10k run and 5K run walk fund raiser for her family on June 14th in Frontenac (near Lake City). Limited information here and Caring Bridge site. Sounds like a very worth cause. Thanks, Reggie.

Ryan Hall ran a 2:06:17 at the London Marathon. That bode's very well for a U.S. medal at the Olympics I'd think. Outstanding runner who makes it look so easy ... when it's anything but.

Chocolate Mint Bars were a hit at Cooking Light on Monday. And I know that Ron Giles approves of this recipe and would consider it a keeper. Right Ron??



Well, I just tried again to create a Photobucket slideshow for Fetzer and it won't let me. I don't know what the problem is. But I better wrap this up so I can pack and make supper.



Let's meet Mike Torchia who now runs for the U of M. I remember when he ran for 'All Comers'. ;-)

Family? I would say more of a tribe - Dad, Mom, Katy, Kelsey, Sarah, and Ian.
Hobbies? Epic games of monopoly, making stupid bets with roommates, and attempting to cook meals well beyond my ability level.
Languages you speak? English, broken Italian, swear words in Portuguese (complements of my mother)
How did you get started in running? The same way everyone else got involved- running away from girls in grade school.
Miles per week on average? 80
Your defacto, comfortable as a broken-in shoe training route? Its a toss-up: River Road to Lake Street or Ranger (Boom Island Park to Stone Arch Bridge)
How often do you run it? Around 4 times per week.
Favorite carbo loading food? Cake
Favorite indulgence food? Cake
Next race? 5000 meters at Arizona State
Running goals? School record in the 5000 meters (13:44) and 10,000 meters (28:24), All-American in cross country and track
Running dream? London, 2012, marathon.

Until next week.

1 comment:

roentgen said...

Have fun and take care at Boston :) Regardless of whether you run in the end, I am sure it will still be a very memorable experience, especially with the Olympic Qualifiers...