Thursday, April 24, 2008

Boston Travelogue, Part 1

I have no idea what the status of the RTC website is or when the projected up-time is. Sorry. I wish it was up to. There was to have been a meeting this morning about it but I haven't heard any outcome. Contact RTC president/webmaster David Sletten for information.

There's still plenty of time to register for the RTC Spring Classic 5K and 15K on May 3 at Soldier's Field at 8:30 am. Not ready for the 15k? Take in the 5K!! Jean's famous monster cookies shall be your just reward! And a technical shirt. And I know they've put in a request for great weather as well! ;-) 15K is part of the RTC Grand Prix Series. 5K is part of the RTC Youth Grand Prix Series. Entry forms at Running Room as well. Be there.

Great foodie blogger -- beautiful photos, very talented cake decorator and wonderful sounding recipes. Thank you Kelly Lyndgaard for passing it along. Certainly worth bookmarking.

From Paul Thomford: Boston winner had/has malaria and still ran 2:07

So. I left for Boston early on Friday morning. Pretty uneventful flight to Chicago then on to Boston. My dad and stepmom were there at the hotel already, which was nice. We were all checked in and there were some familiar faces waiting for me. I still hadn't decided whether I'd run. Though there is and was still a bump on the knee, I was able to lie on my left side without knee pain and it wasn't quite so sensitive to touch and was up to about 90 degrees flexion. But I knew I didn't have the training to run any kind of decent marathon. Not even close. But I still had 2 days to decide.
I took in the Expo on Friday. It was nice and quiet. Relatively. There are SO many people in town on marathon weekend that quiet is certainly relative. But it wasn't shoulder to shoulder people like it was on Saturday, when I next stopped by. So. The jacket. As I mentioned before, it was all about the jacket. I hadn't bought an Image Impact 'official' jacket in prior years and kind of wanted one this year, even though I thought it was a bit shiny. But I didn't want a jacket for a race that I didn't finish, so I didn't buy one.

We took in some of the downtown sights the rest of the afternoon. Beautiful Old South Church.


Boston Public Garden/Boston Common.


Sunday was the Trials. Deena. Joanie. More on that tomorrow. I must chill now. But here's a preview. You can see Blake Russell (black bundies/top), Deena Kastor (white hat), Mary Akor (long sleeves) and I think Elva Dryer (lime/bright blue, though she didn't finish). It was a thrill for me ...

Sleep tight.

No comments: