Wednesday, April 9, 2008

3 Days and Counting

Well, in three days the 27th Fetzer will be history. The weather doesn't sound the greatest, but at least we're not in the Twin Cities or north where they're going to get upwards of 10". Hopefully, not too much will stick to the bike path ... just the grassy areas. There is a very nice article in tonight's Post-Bulletin about two runners running in memory of Jane Nigon, who ran last year, and was killed earlier this year in a car accident. 194 runners have pre-registered. A big thank you to Sudhakar Karlapudi who's going to help from set-up to tear-down and to Lana Lappi for being the go-to person for the 2-Mile. And of course, to all the volunteers. You're the best. I am excited for the race. It's rewarding to see everything come together. That's why we do it.

Run Fat Boy Run is now playing at the Wehrenberg theaters Wehrenberg Theaters and the Chateau Theaters. One of the characters ends up running the London Marathon ...

Lots of new gear at Running Room. From Paula: Our spring apparel sale is going on now! There are still many sizes and styles to choose from! Come in and see what we have that you can't live without!! We also have a huge inventory of new spring apparel! Mizuno, Asics, Pearl Izumi, MPG, Saucony, Nike, Brooks and soon to come new spring Running Room Private Label. We had a sneak peek last week in Canada of the RPL and it’s a great new color! We have a wide variety of skorts in this year! Among all of the different brands there is a cut and length to suite each and every gal!!

Cat in the RTC shed update: K.C. Reed indicates that animal control is going to do a search warrant to remove the cat legally. We'll keep you posted. Thank you Jean for looking out for the cat's best interests. ;-)

Knee update: I'm now thinking that with the swelling and bruising way down, but something still 'not right', that I might have some ligament damange. It's on the outside of my knee and is tender to the touch. The joint is/has been stable and I've always been able to bear weight on it. But I think I'm going to the doc and see what they can tell me. Boston isn't looking too good right now. I'm very disappointed.

Let's meet Fred Woolman, co-director for All Comers' and Chester Woods:


Family? I have two wonderful sons, 3 beautiful granddaughters and 1 great grandson.
Hobbies? I dabble a lot ... reading is the top of my list. Other stuff is playing golf, running, biking, blading, fixing my house/yard up, getting better on my guitar and getting back into water color painting.
Languages you speak? Minnesota English and fractured French.
How did you get started in running? One night 38 years ago I had a dream where someone was yelling at me: "Run Fred, Run!!" So I started running and have never stopped...and don't ever plan to.
Miles per week on average? I don't measure miles... I just go... I mean I usually know about how far I go but I think of it in terms of time-not miles. I try to make my runs "holistic"...
Your defacto, comfortable as a broken-in shoe training route? From my house on Elton Hills to practically any place in Rochester -- usually always includes a loop around Silver Lake though.
How often do you run it? I've been re-habing my toe surgery the last five months so things got backed off some and besides I don't keep track. Lately though it's been three times a week plus the Saturday run.
Favorite carbo loading food? Toast with peanut butter and jelly washed down with a big glass of Carnation breakfast drink.
Favorite indulgence food? To many to list .... but the top of the list is real vanilla ice cream...(not the fake stuff)
Next race? The Fetzer -- what else???
Running goals? 1) To keep running - forever, 2) Keep up with Dick Westerlund during a marathon someday, 3) Qualify for Boston, 4) Keep beating younger runners
Running dream? Get my conditioning back up to the point where when I run I feel like I'm floating along effortlessly totally at one with the world... :-)

Next up, Tish Torchia.

Thought for the day: "Friendship is a cozy shelter from life's rainy (and snowy) days."

Cheers.

No comments: