Friday, December 31, 2010

The Year in Review

First a few words about the morning. I ran from Panera with the 6:30 crew. Up around the lake. 7.48 miles. I was feeling good after my 20.07-miler yesterday and decided to turn it into a tempo run after the first couple of miles. I finished in 1:02:07. I stopped twice to try to determine why speed was (and still is) displayed instead of pace. Don't remember dinging around with any buttons ... Then we had a little sparkling cider toast to 2011 in the parking lot.



Then I went to the Y to swim for an hour. I had the pool to myself save for about 10 minutes. I think I'll take a spin on my trainer later. I put it together last night. I still have to put a trainer tire on my back wheel though.


Then it was home for some Scottish oats.



It takes a while to cook and is a 3-1 water-oats ratio, so it will probably be a weekend/vacation deal. It's kind of a porridge consistency and it's like a quick cooking oats version of rolled oats (if that makes any sense).

Last night: finally found a toaster. A red one wasn't what I had in mind but I guess it adds a splash of color to the countertop.


A salad and a leftover piece of BB's BBQ chicken pizza for supper.


January


I ran my first marathon for the year, Zoom!Yah!Yah! Indoor marathon at St. Olaf in the fieldhouse. 150 laps around the suspended walking track. High point: I won the thing. :-) Low point: It took me 4:04:07 to do it. :-(

Me and my lap counter
February
Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer Half Marathon. Not super fast (1:44) but I was the first old lady to finish so I got a pink hammer. And I met my new blogging friend Julie from Maple Grove.


March
Disney Princess Half Marathon 3/7 at Disney World in Kissimmee, FL. It was quite chilly that morning and we had an hour wait at the start line. Brrrr. It was about 40 degrees ... perfect for distance running, but not for standing around in not too many clothes!! Lisa and Ellen and I all ran the race.


I had my lifetime half marathon PR: 1:35:32, 1st in my age group out of 974 (which subsequently got me a guaranteed spot at Grandma's half marathon ... lucky, since I didn't chosen in the lottery). One of my very proudest moments as a runner. Splits: 7:24 7:14 7:13 7:08 7:02 7:14 7:07 7:14 7:52 (bathroom break!) 7:18 7:17 7:16 7:09.

Human Race 8K in St. Paul. A PR for me of 33:05 (bettering last year's then-PR of 34:42). A very fast race (6:38 pace for me) so even though I ran pretty well, I didn't place. This is the first in the USATF circuit for the year and draws many talented runners.

April
Boston Marathon on April 19. A Boston PR for me and another BQ. 3:49:12. I was very excited to requalify at Boston. I'd not run well at Boston before so I felt like I conquered some demons that day. A fun trip including the chance to see Lionel and Carolyn and a side trip by myself up to Portland, ME.

<< I just filled the 1 GB of free storage that Google/Picasa web albums provides. I deleted lots of photos but still can't post any more photos. Drat. >>

May
Spring Classic 15K on May 1. A PR of 1:06:06. Don't remember too much about this race this year.

Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon on May 8. A definite highlight for the year. Travelled to St. Cloud with Andy, Erin, Trevor and Roger. We all got BQs!!! And we're all running Boston. Three of us (and possibly four ... can't remember about Roger) also ran PRs. Mine was 3:33:43. Flat course, cold weather, NW wind. PERFECT.

Twin Cities 1 Mile on May 13, 5 days after my marathon PR. A one-mile PR of 5:56. Cold and windy that night. Another run that I am very proud of.

Med-City Half Marathon on May 30. 1:39:36  Not the time I was hoping for. Cramped about 8 miles. But still a pretty good day. Lots of friends in attendance either running or volunteering which is always fun.

June
Half marathon at Grandma's (technically the Gary Bjorklund Half) June 19 1:39:02  Again not what I was hoping for (a 1:35). I cramped again at 7 or 8 miles.

All Comers' Mile on June 22. 6:05. My fastest All Comers' Mile, but not a PR.
July
Women's Race (4 miles) on July 31 A P.R. of 27:11. Always a fun race ... such positive energy amongst all the participants. Always a gut-buster for me, too. Usually hot.

August
Douglas Trail 11 mile on August 7 1:19:55 which was a P.R. This one can be a scorcher too. I like that it's an out-and-back so we can cheer for each other. :-)

MDRA 15K on August 15. A tough 15K (3 loops of a hilly 5K course) and it was windy this year. Lots of very talented runners from the Twin Cities at this race as well. 1:06:35 which was a P.R. for this course, but not for 15K.

August 21 brought a pulled hamstring and lots of down town, at least non-running time. Started putting in lots of miles on the bike that I bought this year and lots of miles in the pool. Racing season came to a screeching halt.

September
September 4, rode 100.34 miles (unsupported) on my bike. First century ride in quite a few years.

October
TC10 on October 3. A very embarrassing time of 1:27:26. I didn't think I'd be able to run 10 miles by this time, and I must say it hurt the whole way. But I'm glad I got my finisher's shirt. Fun to see my running buddies run some really amazing times.

November
Outer Banks Marathon (NC) with 4 dozen St. Cloud River Runner friends. A very, very fun getaway. Beautiful weather (starting on Sunday!). Great friends. Lots of laughs. A very memorable road trip. I ran a 3:55:50. Not my fastest, but not my slowest either. Considering my hamstring situation, it was good enough. Pretty ugly the last few miles, though. A BQ so I couldn't complain about that.

That brings to a close my 2010 running season.

The last half of the year has been difficult for me on many fronts. 2011 will be a year of changes for me. For the first time in 25 years, I will be a single person. I will have lots of adjustments to make and I don't know exactly what, or when, or where, 2011 and beyond has in store for me. But I will be OK. If I've seemed out of sorts the last couple of months, you now know why.

As I look back over the years, what has meant so much to me are my friendships, old and new. I treasure each and every one of them. More so now than ever. There are contracts that go with other relationships ... business relationships, even marriages. But people are friends only because they choose to be friends. What a wonderful thing.

Be safe tonight, whatever you choose to do. And blessings on your 2011.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Happy New Year Renee! Wishing the best for you in 2011:)

You have had an amazing year...impressive as always!