Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I Don't Know What To Call This Post

It's been another full, busy day. And nothing comes to mind for a title for this post, so I'm just calling it, "I Don't Know What To Call This Post." Boring, but true.

This morning I finally got back into the pool for an hour after not having been there for a week. Luckily I still remembered how to swim. I've done 2 hours on the Stairmaster the last 3 days. I ran down to the Y, lifted and ran home. I decided to leave the pool 5 minutes early given the slippery conditions outside. Turned out to be providential. On the way home, on 6th St SW just east of 14th Ave (4 way stop south of St. Mary's) there was a garbage truck stopped in the eastbound lane and a long string of cars stopped behind it. After the truck got going, one by one the cars tried to get going on a hill. No luck. The first in line was a commercial minivan and he was going nowhere. Just burning the rubber off his tires. I had my spikes on my shoes, so I got behind him and pushed him up the hill, tweaking my hammie AGAIN on the last push. :-( But I felt good about helping out. He waved out the window. The next car was a mid-sized sedan. He was REALLY spinning his wheels and slipping all over the place. They were having such trouble because they were stopped in the middle of the hill. I had a hard time getting him going and was having trouble getting traction myself. He rolled down the passenger window and I told him to back up and them aim his wheels about a foot and a half to the right hoping to get more traction. It didn't help much and I really had to push this guy HARD. But I finally got him going. He honked his horn and waved. The next car, same situation but not quite as much pushing required to get him up the hill. My spike came off in the process. I looked back and there about a dozen cars lined up. Yikes. I thought I was going to be at this for a long time. But after the first three got going, the rest were able to get a "running start" at the hill and they got up successfully. Thankfully. I had to still run home, shower, eat breakfast and get to work. Anyway, I did my good deed(s) for the day.

Mid-afternoon, I went to Lt. KC Reed's retirement party. He's been a Rochester police officer for 35 years.



Several other runners were there as well.

Wally, Steve, Ross, Mark

Dan, Jim, Gary
Chief Peterson ...


and the mayor ...


and Kevin Torgerson ...


and Special Olympian Nathan Bauer (so charming!) ...


all had very nice things to say about K.C. No doubt ... he's a very nice guy!! KC has been heavily involved in the Polar Plunge for many years.




So he got a visit from the Polar Plunge mascot. He was presented a quilt with 24 years worth of T-shirts on it. I think these were for the Law Enforcement torch run. It was a very nice way to send KC off into the world of retirement. I talked with Wally about the Med-City marathon changes he's working on. I hope it works out! He's working some issues with the city.

Late afternoon, I went with Eric to pick up the car he bought. His first big purchase. He was kind of nervous about it. It's a big decision. I was glad to be there for him.

Tomorrow Team R.E.D. is arriving at the North Pole (so to speak). Lori has been logging our running mileage since Living History Farms and tomorrow we arrive at our destination. The crew will be at the Salvation Army kettle at Marketplace Foods shortly after 6 pm to celebrate their arrival. I however will be travelling northwest ... up to St. Cloud for the River Runners' annual Christmas Lights rund supper. I'm staying with Donnie and Cindy. Should be a fun evening. Then it's home early Friday to prepare for the breakfast run at my house on Saturday. 7:30 (or earlier) if you care to run. If you just want to eat, that's fine too! All are welcome. The usual fare ... egg bake (veggie and non-veggie), steel-cut oats, fruit, muffins and cookies, coffee, juice, ...

I'll close with a recipe from my friend Margo. It's for Friendship Cake.

1 1/2 c. greetings
1 large handshake
1 c. hospitality
3 c. love
1/4 tsp. sympathy
2 c. smiles

Cream love and sympathy together. Sift together hospitality, handshake and smiles. Fold in carefully. Top with smiles. Bake in a warm heart. Serve often.

Good night.

No comments: