Friday, December 17, 2010

Blogging on Slogging

That's exactly what my "run" was this afternoon. Sloggin. I went out attempting to find some runnable surfacses for the morning breakfast run. Not. Much. Luck. The first 3/4 of a mile, down Fox Valley Drive to the west, was OK but then miles of misery. The bike path on 22 isn't plowed (it had been to the south of Fox Valley) and I ran north toward second street on the slushy shoulder, trying to avoid mucky spray from cars. Then I went up to the Cascade Trail path to find that it isn't plowed. Then I ran down the north shoulder of 2nd St SW as the path wasn't plowed on the south side. This wasn't fun. Went downtown and stopped at the library for a drink of water. Then headed for Soldier's Field. Finally. A runnable loop of 2.25 miles, save for the bridge over the river which isn't plowed. So ... a suggested course for the morning will be 6th St to Broadway (2 miles), around Soldier's Field (2.25 miles) and back to my house (2 miles). All are welcome to join the run and/or breakfast following. The menu: egg bake (veggie and non-veggie) and steel cut oats provided by me, pancakes provided by Pete Schommer, and cookies (me), muffins, fruit, coffee, juice (by others). Thank you in advance for your contributions! I'm sure it will be yet another fun breakfast run.

The last 2 miles of my 15.08 run were two of my out-and-back 1/2 miles (to the traffic circle on Fox Valley Dr). On the second repeat, there was a red pickup in the snowbank on the north side of the road and 4 (at least) teenage boys at the scene. 3 were in the truck and one was outside with a shovel. They were trying to get "unstuck". I'm not sure how they got stuck in the first place. They were facing west and the back end of the truck and the passenger quarter panel were in the snowbank, and stuck pretty good. I decided to see if I could help. They didn't think they were going to be able to drive out and were going to call someone. But I had them rock it a few more times and on the third time, I pushed them out. They were quite thankful. So, this 50-year old female singlehandedly pushed the truck out while the guy with the shovel stood and watched. All good. :-) My good deed for the day.

Well, I'm pretty tired and I think I'll call it a day. Much to blog about after tomorrow's activities (breakfast run and KC's retirement hog roast/party).

Good night.

No comments: