Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Wrung Out

I've had an emotional day today. And it didn't help that Matt left this afternoon on a road trip to SC for a bike race this weekend with a friend from his WSU. It's his first major drive like this and they're driving through the night. I pray that they arrive both there and back in MN safely, and of course that the bike race goes well. He's doing a criterium race on Saturday which he hasn't done before. EVER. That makes me nervous. Then a road race on Sunday. Once a mom, always a mom. Even when they're 22 (and 24).

Today when I was shoveling 3.5" of wet, heavy snow ...


I just about lost it. Crazy, I know. Its just snow after all. But I was having a little pity party I guess. I wish I had a snowblower this winter. I was tired from heaving shovelsful of wet, heavy snow 6' in the air (that's how tall the piles STILL are next to the driveway) for over an hour and a clump of snow dislodged from a crabapple tree and unceremoniously landed right on my head. But I didn't start crying (I kind of wanted to). I just kept at it one scoop at a time until it was done. My back was very tired. I can't wait for winter weather to move on out for good.

Workouts. Today, 2 hours on the Stairmaster, one mile run and all that shoveling. Yesterday, 10 miles on the indoor track (including 10 x 400 and 2.5 tempo miles, going around the walker who always seems to need the inside lane) ...

Before

After
then a 2400 yard swim ... (chatted with Judge Kevin who was in the next lane. On leaving, he said, "Have a good swim, Champ." I just had to chuckle. :-)

then an hour on the bike.



Quite a workout, but I felt good. Felt good on the Stairmasater today, too. Tomorrow morning, the Progressive Run will take place in Rochester, at Panera South at 5 AM. Also, Team R.E.D. will be meeting at Beer Bellyz on Civic Center Drive at 6 PM. More info on the Team R.E.D blog.

Last night, Matt and his friend Katie (another WSU music ed student/grad) performed at the open mic at The Viking Lounge. They hadn't practiced, but I thought they did great. Most importantly, they had fun. They played some Snow Patrol, Coldplay and Ke$ha.



Yesterday evening was "Social Night". We moved it from Beetles to Brothers this month. In attendance,


Mike, Erin, Andy
Roger
Jim
Paul and Liz
We had fun, and shared lots of laughs (as usual).

Saturday morning options from the RAC: 6 AM, 6:30 AM or 7:15 AM. With the 6:00 AM start, the plan is for a total of 23 miles. At 6:30, about 19. At 7:15, 16. My friend George from St. Cloud will be joining us at 6 AM. :-)

I'm really ready to wrap up this day. Good night.

No comments: