Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tough Going

The plan for the morning was a 23-mile run. I knew yesterday that there was a wind advisory starting at midnight last night. Well, WINDY it was. And then some. Unbelievably winds from the west. And chilly. About 20 degrees at the start and I'm not sure what the wind chill was. But it might not have even been in the single digits above zero. We started at 6 AM with a 3-mile loop. Then back to the RAC at 6:30 for a 4-mile loop. At 7:15 we all gathered in the lobby of the RAC ...


only to find out that for the first time ever there were no volunteers to staff the water stops. So the plan was 4 by 4-mile loops for the planned 16-mile run. Some headed in the general direction of Mayo H.S. but I didn't want to run 8'ish miles to the south and east only to have to run 8'ish brutal miles to the north and west. I just didn't have it in me. I contemplated doing the 4-mile loops and started with that plan. Then I needed a pit stop, so I stopped at the Kwik Trip on 11th Ave NW. Pit stop #2. (The RAC was #1.) My hands were cold, so I headed toward home ...



for different gloves and a face mask rather than a neck gaiter. Pit stop #3. It was REALLY hard to get going again after being in a warm house. Then north on County 22 to the Kwik Trip there. The stretch up and over Historic Hill was especially cold. It was link a wind tunnel going up the hill, and totally unprotected from the wind going down.

Can't you just feel that cold wind??

Pit stop #4. Then east on 7th St NW and finally up to McDonald's on the frontage road. Pit stop #5. North on the frontage road to 41st St NW and onto the IBM Property. Pit stop #6 behind a huge tree. Back to the RAC via Valley High Drive. Pit stop #7. Out for one more mile after chatting with Trevor. WHAT IS UP WITH ALL THESE PIT STOPS?? I'd been pretty vigilant about hydrating yesterday given last Saturday's difficulties, but this was ridiculous. I guess it was the combo of cold air and cold water (I also got a drink at every pit stop) that made my bladder react like this. Needless to say, this run took a while (4:04 for 23.4 miles).


On Facebook, I mentioned that this was the toughest 23.40 mile run EVER. After thinking about it (and getting lots of comments), I've decided that it actually wasn't the toughest 23.40 mile run ever. (I'm actually feeling good, though my legs are tired.) Two other runs that come to mind that were tougher (and yes, longer): 1) Grandma's marathon 2009 (brutally hot and injury issues. I barely made it to the finish line for that one. UGLY. 2) Boston Marathon 2008. Injured knee that forced me to walk beginning at mile 16. Not one more running stride the whole marathon as it caused shooting pain up my leg. Stop in medical "tent" at mile 18. 25+ stops in the port-a-potties. Blood blisters. UGLY. Really UGLY. So ... I'd rather run in today's cold and wind than heat or pain. Had a delicious bowl of oatmeal upon my return home. Along with a 24 oz. Diet Coke. :-)


Here's some of the weather data for the day ... peak wind gust was 53 mph. Very windy in the early AM when we were running.


It was nice to have George from St. Cloud run with us. I neglected to take a photo this morning (my bad) but he's on the left in the photo below with good buddies Travis and Monty (who's in Mexico ... lucky stiff).

George, Travis, Monty
Called Matt today. He's in SC for a bike race. He rode the criterium today, his first. He said the course was a 1K loop and the race was faster than he'd thought it would be. He finished in the middle of the pack. GREAT job. Tomorrow he's got a 40K road race. GO Matt. :-)

Remember to set your clocks ahead tonight. Tomorrow I think I'll join the Snowshoe Crew at 12:15 (first bridge). Could be the last hurrah for us for the season. :-( But that'll mean that the snow is disappearing. :-)

Made some banana bread this afternoon.


Time to call it a day. Ciao.

No comments: