Monday, January 4, 2010

611

I just clicked on NEW POST and noticed that I've posted 610 times already. Time flies ... That's a lot of posts! A lot of hours. But I don't regret any one of them. I'm just happy that my "bleaders" find something of interest in my little corner of the world, and you find your way back here every one in a while. So ... here's post number 611.

Cookie update #1: Lana in TX, here is your first cookie delivery for 2010!! Oatmeal Chocolate Super-Chunk, my personal favorite. They're in the mail. Enjoy!!



Cookie update #2: The first delivery of Cookies of the Month/2010 were delivered to the Y today. In attendance, Jim B., K.C. and Jamie. Missing: Jim M, Jean, Don.


What is this Cookie of the Month deal? It's how I raise the prize money for the Fetzer 20K (April 10, and I am the race director). I've done this for several years now. The guys bought a years worth of cookies, and they split the batch each month. Shaun Palmer is also in on the Cookie of the Month and he gets a whole batch each month (which he very generously shares with others).



The race is an Equalizer race. The gals start 12 minutes before the guys and the first one to the finish line is the winner. Prize $ go to the first open finisher ($150), the first masters finisher ($150), the first open finisher of the non-winning gender ($100) and the first masters finisher of the non-winning gender ($100). It's kind of a fun way to mix it up a little. More info on the race website. This will probably be my last hurrah as RD ... so please consider running!!

Here's a mock-up of our hats for Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer.


I definitely want pink. Speaking of LUABC ... we need volunteers! Lots of them. I need 2 or 3 to help with distributing food after the races (please email me if you can help). And our volunteer coordinator Sarah Shonyo needs lots of people to help on the course, at the finish, with registration, etc. The race date is the morning of February 14. Please email Sarah if you can help us out. You will receive a thank-you gift, and our undying thanks. :-)

The Y is holding its second annual Indoor Triathlon on Sunday, March 14 at 8 AM. More info at http://www.rochfamy.org/ There is a long course (1/4 mile swim, 3.2 mile run, 10 mile bike --- that's the order they're listed in the brochure) and a short course (1/8 mile, 1.5 mile, 5 miles). Early bird registration through 3/1.

Reminder: Indoor track workout at RCTC Tuesday at 5:30 PM. I'll be there. I have some new shoes that need to get a few more miles on them before ... Zoom!Yah!Yah! on Sunday. What is Zoom!Yah!Yah! ?? It's an indoor marathon at St. Olaf. 150 laps around the indoor track. 5.7 laps/mile. We each have our own personal lap counter (a member of the women's track team). And I think it will be GREAT FUN!! 6:30 AM start time if you want to come cheer us on. How many times do you get to see your friends 150 times during a marathon??

I was catching up on newspapers yesterday. Greg Sellnow's column is one that I don't like to miss, so I glanced at it quickly. (This was from Dec. 12 ... yes, I was WAY behind.) I'd emailed Greg last winter regarding clearing sidewalks (or the lack thereof) and he made reference to me in his column, as he did last winter too. I am the "reader who is an avid runner" who he references.


It really bugs me when people don't shovel. The house that got my "gentle reminder" last year, (actually, a copy of the notice in the newspaper), was directly across from Folwell School, the property owners own a day care, and it's 1 1/2 a block from St. Mary's hospital. (And ... on my way to the Y!)  DEFINITELY high traffic. And DEFINITELY should be shoveled. The sidewalk was a total mess and very dangerous for all those little kids walking to school. Anyway, after my gentle reminder, guess what? They shoveled!! [Funny little aside from Dan Strain ... On Saturday, he said that in his last house he had a LOT of sidewalk (a large corner lot) and thought about calling in his own address to the city. He'd gladly have paid them $15 to shovel him out. :-) ]

I know I still owe you a 2009 Wrap-up, Part 2. But it's already past my bedtime.

So ... good night all.

No comments: