Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Well, it finally happened ...

... I took a digger on the bike today. Right at the end of the driveway. But I landed nice and cleanly on my padded hips with no apparent damage other than a sore spot on my lower back. But anyway, the pedals came off and I'm going to use regular, non-cool pedals with toe clips for a little while until my confidence in all things triathlon is at a higher level. Everything in my life feels like it's unraveling. Let's go back ... to last night's swim.


Foster Arends. Chris Koch and his Running Room Triathlon class were there for some triathlon swim-specific information and he invited anyone else with an interest to join in the fun. That'd be me. :-) And a few others.

After some words of wisdom, it was time for the wetsuits to hit the water. (That long yellow cord is my zipper quick-release cord ...)

Gulp. I was nervous. First of all, it was cold. Ambient temp was 60'ish. Water temp, 64 degrees. Sue M., my new Y swim buddy, and I were both FROZEN. And I had a (sleeveless) wetsuit. She didn't. And she's super skinny. (She's on the right below. I'm on the left, and sorry but I don't know the name of the gentleman in the foreground. Cathy Torgerson is entering the water on the right.)

Chris did a great job (I wish I'd taken the class) and had lots of tips to share with us, things I wouldn't have known otherwise: water entry (high step as long as you can), ...

exit (swim until your fingers hit the bottom of the lake), sighting, ...


panic attacks, ... yes. Panic attacks. When I first got in, I think I had a little one. I was so cold. The suit felt so tight around my neck. My goggles were filling with pea green water even though I'd swam miles and miles in the pool with them already. My hips were riding high in the water because of the wet suit (usually in the pool, they kind of sink). Everything just felt off. It was a challenge. Of the first degree. But we did it. And I'll be back. I can do this. :-) I think ...

Before we knew it, it was time to leave.

And warm up. THAT took a while. This morning at the pool Sue and I both commented that we'd had pins and needles in our feet for an hour or so afterward, and that the soles of our feet were white. One of the guys there last night commented on my purple skin. I was C-C-C-C-COLD!! I was in the shower for a L-O-N-G time. But I'm glad I went. I learned a lot. And I learned that I have yet a lot to learn.

Which brings me to tomorrow. It's the first TNT (Thursday Night [practice] Triathlon) at Foster Arends at 6:30 PM. Tomorrow it's program #1. There's a "bike watcher" there during the swim and run.

1. 400M Swim, 7.4 mile bike, and 2 mile run. (1st and 3rd Thursday of Month)
2. 600M Swim, 11.1 mile bike, and 3 mile run (2nd Thursday of Month)
3. 2 mile run, 7.4 mile bike, 400M swim (4th Thursday of Month)
4. (200M Swim, 3.7 mile bike, 1 mile run) X 2 (5th Thursday of Month, July 30th only)

I think I'll be there. At least for the swim and bike. Don't know if I'll attempt running yet. I feel good, but don't want to set myself back again before Grandma's marathon.

So that brings me to today. I started out by lifting then swimming for an hour. I actually felt strong in the pool today. And it was very crowded as it usually seems to be on Wednesdays. 9 people in 5 lanes. Then a half hour on the Stairmaster. Late this afternoon, Matt (20-year old son) and I went for a bike ride ...

Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my
Bicycle races are coming your way
So forget all your duties oh yeah
Fat bottomed girls they'll be riding today
So look out for those beauties oh yeah
On your marks get set go
Bicycle race bicycle race bicycle race
All I want to do is
Bicycle bicycle bicycle I want to ride my bicycle
Bicycle bicycle bicycle bicycle
Bicycle race --Queen, Bicycle Race

I felt like hammering, so hammer we did. Even with my whimpy pedals I achieved my goals. Maintain 20-25 mph on the flats and at least 18.0 mph for an average speed. Check. Check. We rode out to Salem Corners and then another couple miles to the west. 18.43 miles. 1 hour exactly (plus a couple seconds). Fairly noticeable north wind. Good ride. I know I give up something without my cleated shoes for sure, especially climbing hills, but for now they're staying at home. They'll be back. :-) When I got home, I was dying for a cookie. If I had one in the house, I'd have eaten one FOR SURE ... But I'm currently cookie-less. :-) It's a good thing.

Baby news: Dawn (Lyngen) Boynton and husband Brad had Caylee Jo yesterday at 2:27 pm! She was 8 pounds, 1.5 oz ,20 3/4 inches. Dawn reports lots of dark hair and all are doing well. And I've been waiting to share this: Mary Chestolowski is 15 weeks pregnant and feeling good! How exciting for both of them! And congrats!

Last night was also the first night (of 6) for All Comers' for the season. Huge crowds even thought it was cool. Laura reports that there were 400+ participants. Super!! Imagine what the crowds will be when the weather is NICE!! I'll post a slideshow tomorrow. I've had about enough for tonight.

Saw super speedy Joey Keillor there so I chatted with him for a while. (4:32 mile at the All Comers' Mile last year. Which reminds me ... the mile is next week. 5:30 I think.)

Well, it's time to put this post to bed. And me as well.

Toodles.

1 comment:

russells said...

I know the "digger" feeling, did it myself at the end of the 32 mile Tour de Pepin ride saturday in all the rain. Came to a stop sign within 300 ft of where my car was, didn't realize I was clipped in and just tripped over....the only thing hurt was my pride.