Thursday, June 4, 2009

FAB.U.LOUS!!




Beautiful, beautiful day today. 72 degrees. No wind. No humidity. Doesn't get much better than that. I decided to use part of the afternoon for some outdoors work -- mow the yard, weeding (it never ends!), watering flowers, ... it was a joy to be outside.
(My back yard.)

173 hits here on Tuesday. Whoo hoo! Blow me away. My next goal? 200.

Got a letter from the doctor the other day. The Xray of my hip was negative. So no fracture, no arthritis. But still don't know what's causing the pain ... :-(

Well, my Mayo Clinic Medical Edge video is apparently getting more play. I guess it was on KSTP the other day. Interestingly enough, I got a call last night from someone in the cities named Bonnie who'd watched in on channel 5. She wanted to know if I might somehow be able to help her daughter. Well, I told her that I am not a medical professional and couldn't give her any medical advice. I just reiterated my story. I was kind of dumbstruck by the call, actually.

Got an email from Kim Maxwell, MN RRCA rep. "By any chance do you know anyone in the area that would want an entry for $40 into the sold out Lakefront Marathon in Milwaukee this October 4? I have an entry I am selling that I bid on at the RRCA conference. It has to be submitted no later than July 1st." This would be a legit entry, not wearing someone's number kind of deal. If you're interested, you can contact Kim at run25@earthlink.net Pretty reasonable entry fee for a marathon.

From KC Reed: (PSA) Beginning Monday June 8, 2009 the Bike Path along the east side of West River Parkway from Elton Hills Drive to 37th St. N.W. will be closed for reconstruction. The existing path will be milled, re-graded and paved with the first lift of Bituminous during the course of the week. Sidewalk facilities on the west side of the roadway will remain open at all times.

I see that the Post-Bulletin did do a story on Dan Strain, Rubik's-Cube-Solving-Marathoner. :-) Yeah, I put them up to it ... Can't find a link to the story on the website, though.

Some info on the "two scoops of raisins in a package of Kelloggs Raisin Bran" passed along by Jim Benike. :-) Someone out there has waaaaaay too much time on their hands!!

Had a fun group last night at Yack & Snack. Deb, who's a massage therapist, gave me some stretches for my piriformis. I hope they help.


I made Rhubarb Sour Cream Crumb Cake. It's very good. Everybody wanted the recipe, so I might as well post it here, too. I think next time I'll use more rhubarb. Or you could easily substitute another fruit (berries, etc.)


Cake Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup Butter, softened
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup Sour Cream
3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb

Crumb Topping Ingredients:
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter

Topping Ingredients:
Heavy Whipping Cream, whipped, sweetened (I used lite Cool Whip instead)

Heat oven to 350°F. Combine sugar and 3/4 cup butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Add eggs and vanilla; continue beating until creamy.

Combine 2 3/4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, mixing well after each addition. Toss together rhubarb and remaining 1/4 cup flour in same medium bowl; gently stir into batter. Spread evenly into greased 13x9-inch baking pan.

Combine brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour and cinnamon in small bowl; cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over batter. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

To serve, dollop each serving with whipped cream. Sprinkle with additional ground cinnamon, if desired.

Well, it's about 9:00. I decided I would end this post at 9:00 and watch Ace of Cakes on FoodTV even though I have lots more to post (I'll save it for tomorrow--mostly foodie stuff anyway). My son Eric said that these days I'm always doing something. I decided I need to take a few minutes each day and ... chill.

Thought for the day: When twas the last time you did something for the first time?

Go. Be. Do.

No comments: